∞ 1

Chapter Song: Good Life – OneRepublic

"When you're happy like a fool, let it take you over..."
-

Emery Morrison

Have you ever had a moment that was so surreal that you had to keep checking if you were dreaming or if you were even alive? Have you ever felt so genuinely happy and proud of yourself that all the negatives in your life just washed away? That's how I felt at the moment. September 9th, 2016, the current best day of my life. On this day, I was rewarded a role in the main theatre Fall production, "Beauty and the Beast." To make it even better, my closest friends were also rewarded positions. To celebrate, we were granted a humongous dinner with all the other crew members of the play. The dinner was at a top notch restaurant and our meals were getting paid for by the directors of the production.

Word around school was that the production for this play was going to be heavy and probably one of the most expensive in UCLA's history. They were counting on many of well-known guests to buy tickets and attend. My stomach turned from the chance of the possibility of having a celebrity watching me perform on stage, but my heart also ached for such a pleasure. I was lucky enough to get the role of Belle. The leading lady. So many talented girls had auditioned for the part, but the directors chose me. I've never felt more accomplished about something in my whole life. The joy I had within my bones was equivalent to if I had won the lottery or actually got to meet Angelina Jolie face to face.

"Earth to Emery," a heavy Boston accent yelled at me. A tattooed hand waved in front of my face to grab my attention quicker. I jumped out of my day dream and looked towards the girl beside me who was smiling at me adoringly. Frankie.

Frankie Micheli had the biggest crush on me, and even though she was close to my type with her abundance of tattoos and charming looks, we were just friends. She'd constantly ask me out on dates and I'd constantly have to decline her. We were just too much of good friends to begin a relationship.

I met her the first day of my freshman year in Intro to Theatre. She had her eyes set on me then, but she was always way too arrogant. That was her downfall. I get that she's hot, but she didn't have to throw it out there every five seconds like an asswipe. Which leads me to the second reason why I wouldn't date Franke, she was an asswipe. People either loved or hated her. I loved her as a friend, but most of my friends outside of my tight knit group hated her guts. They always brought up how egotistical she was or how impolite she could be sometimes.

Just because she had lovely short blonde hair and dreamy blue eyes she thought that she could get away with anything, but unlike her and her shallow personality, people looked for more than just a pretty face, but I digress. Frankie was rewarded the lighting operator of the show, which led her to wink at me and tell me about how good she was with her fingers. What an asshole, but she was my asshole. She had her moments and she was a good friend despite her downfalls.

"Sorry, I spaced out," I said as I looked up from my food and across from me. On the other side of the table was my friend Otis Braden, but we just called him Oats for short. He was over there eating his food as if it was trying to run away from him. In many aspects, Oats was still a kid. He had a childish demeanor and he never let anything get to him. I had never seen him angry, sad or any other emotion, just f-cking happy! It was absolutely insane!

To top it all off, he was somewhat a nerd with his love for anything related to comic books and Bill Nye the science guy. But somehow he seemed so cool, I think it was because he was Irish and actually raised in Ireland. It was definitely the accent that made him cooler than he was.

"Oats, stop eating so fast you're going to f-cking choke," I scolded him as if I was his mother. It usually went that way between me and him. It was like a big sister-little brother relationship even though he was two months older than I was.