∞ 28

A month came and went within a flash. With putting so much time into studying for finals, basketball and Emery, it seemed like time moved faster. It was Christmas day before I knew it. Usually on Christmas day, I spent time with my parents and other family members, but of course I wasn't invited back home this holiday. I still hadn't talked to my parents and they were still giving me the cold shoulder, which was fine. I wasn't worried about it and I knew that with time they would possibly reach out. So since I didn't have my blood family this Christmas, I decided to spend time with some of my basketball family.

Christmas break was a three week break for regular students who didn't participate in sports, but for me and my teammates, we only got just a couple of days off. Most of my teammates stayed on or near campus during Christmas break and I was kicked out of the sorority house for the holiday since they were remodeling the place while the rest of the girls were gone. Emery went home to spend her time with her family which was more than fine with me. She deserved to spend some quality time with her family, just like I did with my teammates. We decided to not give each other presents this Christmas anyways. Over break, I'm sure the constant text messages and Facetime calls could hold us over until Emery got back on New Year.

Being kicked out of my sorority house and not going with Emery to her parents' house left me sleeping on the couch at Sonny's place. So far living with Sonny, Tiff, Mars, Betz and their pet roaches wasn't that bad. Sure, there were some wild gunshots going off at night. Yeah, the couch was uncomfortable to sleep on. Of course, I missed my own bed, but it wasn't that bad. I got to spend more time than ever with my teammates which ruled over everything. We were the starters and most of our time on the court was with each other so to spend just as much time off the court was only going to make our game even better.

We were getting deeper and deeper into basketball season, and the deeper we got, the more hype was put around my name. Every game, me and my teammates dominated other teams and scored with high percentages. Nearly every shot I was letting out always went down the drain and my passes to my teammates were becoming more and more elaborate. No one else in the league had as many points and assists as me. We were only ten games in and many people were saying that this was my best season yet.

I dominated the news on ESPN and I was talked about more than professional players. Each time we played now, the stadium was sold out and I got stopped more frequently for autographs and pictures. It was almost as if I was famous or something. "You're f-cking famous," Sonny yelled at me as she stood straight up on her feet. I was laying on the couch tossing a mini basketball back and forth in the air as Sonny was chilling on a recliner on her phone. Tiff, Mars and Betz were all in the kitchen making sandwiches for themselves. They kept bumping into each other and yelling at one another. You would think they would just wait and take turns in the kitchen.

"What's up," I asked Sonny as I looked towards her. Sitting up on the couch, I held the ball in my hand as I waited for Sonny to explain what was going on.

"The headline reads: UCLA Point Guard of the Women's Basketball Team, Julian Wang, Could Actually Be the First Woman in the NBA. Did you f-cking hear that!?" Suddenly, Tiff, Mars and Betz stopped bickering and ran over to Sonny who was staring down at her phone proudly. I was at a loss of words. How the hell could that be? It was probably just some satire article. No way would someone actually allow me in the NBA. "Look, it's a video!" Everyone crowded around Sonny as she held her phone afar so we could all stare at the screen.

"On to the next topic, guys. It's a new one and fresh off the market. People are saying that Julian Wang could be the first ever woman to play in the NBA. Many NBA coaches have noted that they would look to draft her if she was interested after completing college basketball. We all know after this season, she has one more season until she graduates. So far, this young woman has led her team to two straight championships. What do you two think?"