Chapter 3 : Honey Gems

"Move," my own voice sounded foreign to me.

Ishan scrambled backwards at once.

Breathe in. Breathe out. Look outside the window.

My breathing gradually became less laboured.

At times like this, I wish I was sitting with Tuhina. Claustrophobia was never an issue when I was with her or Ma. It was actually the reason Tuhina had been sitting with me every year of school. But I had have enough of her trying to babysit me.

"Are you okay?" Ishan asked, uncertainty lacing his voice.

"Do I look okay?" I snapped back as dizziness overpowered me and I closed my eyes.

"You are as pale as a paper and I could practically hear your ragged breathing a few seconds ago. So that does mean you're not okay, right?"

"You don't have the right to be sarcastic. You don't have claustrophobia," I spat at him.

"Right. Claustrophobia. Shit! I'm sorry, I forgot."

The sight of food before me on the table made me nauseous. My head kept throbbing. This had been pretty intense.

I wanted to pass out.

But I couldn't. At least not in the middle of school. The least I could do for Ma was not to let her worry unnecessarily for a phone call from school stating that I needed to be taken home early.

"Can I help you?"

"Just talk me out of this. Else I'm going to - Just go on talking about anything."

"Okay. Um..," he looked at the sheet in front of me.

"Most of the guys I've seen playing cricket at my old school, usually fought each other to get a chance to bat.."

"That's one of the m..many causes I took up b..bowling, so that I wouldn't have to f..fight," I stuttered.

"Do you think you should talk?" He asked with worry etched on his face.

"Yeah, else I'll p..pass out. R..remove these foods from my sight."

"Okay," he gulped and did as I said. "Should I get Tuhina?"

"No," I shook my head. "She doesn't need to know."

My head was starting to become clearer.

"So what do you think about India's bowling?"

Think cricket. Think cricket.

"It has come a long way than what it was earlier. I actually like Ashwin's bowling. And among the pace bowlers, Umesh Yadav and Shami are impressive."

That felt better.

"Hey let me see what your sister has written," he turned the paper.

I could at least sit up straight now.

"Quiz, public speaking, drama, table tennis. OH MY GOD! SHE'S INTO AN AWFUL LOT OF ACTIVITIES!"

That broke the remaining dizzy spell.

Thanks, Ishan.

"She's forgotten to mention her talent as a know-it-all nerd."

"HOW DOES SHE MANAGE ALL THESE THINGS?"

Okay now, he didn't need to be loud anymore.

"You're awfully loud. It doesn't help my eardrums."