II: Fight

Despite my brother giving me a dare, and I never ignore dares, I couldn't get myself to hurry up and get downstairs. I walked to the bathroom feeling really tired. I guess having nightmares doesn't count as sleep to my body. I grabbed my toothbrush from the stand and looked at myself in the mirror. I winced, I hadn't realized that I looked that bad. I squeezed my toothpaste onto my toothbrush and began brushing my teeth as I opened the door to my closet. I saw my clothes and knew that it was gonna take me a while to find something to wear.

 *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 I haven't been to a normal high school since the day my mom died. I knew that this was going to take some getting used to. Waking up early, actually having to put some thought into how I look... it's hard. The past year I've been homeschooling. It's been working out pretty well, but my brother thought that I needed a social life, so he enrolled me in the nearest public school. I wasn't ready to face my old friends and their pity.

I walked down the stairs and glanced in the mirror on my way. Even though I had just decide to throw anything on in my best effort to rush on my first day of school in my guilt-ridden haze, I decided that I looked pretty good. My light brown hair was loose over my shoulders and I was wearing a red-and-white striped shirt with a pair of blue jeans and a very light coat  of makeup. I shook my head to help me clear my mind as I continued down the stairs. I shouldn't be worried about how I look when I had more important things to deal with. Like the first day at a new school... or the girl in the kitchen that was sitting across from my brother. I stopped just short of the door, glad that they didn't notice me because they seemed to be quite occupied. They were leaning forward, their voices harsh angry whispers that sounded so unlike my brother, but seemed to fit the girl perfectly. I caught one word, my name, and decided to hide and eavesdrop like any normal person would do.

"You seriously think that your sister is the one that the Council is looking for?" the girl said.

"Yea, I mean come on Camryn. How else did she survive the obvious attack from Derman?" Asher replied.

"Why do you think your mom died, but Bianca survived?"

"I don't know, but I'm not really in the mood to wonder about that. It's been a really hard year and Nix missed like a year of school. You should leave soon."

"Yea, sure but I miss her a lot Ash."

"I think we all do Cam, Nix started having the nightmare again. I'm worried about her."

"Again? Do you think----"

 "Oh shhhhhh-" Asher interrupted and I heard him get up from his chair.

I knew that Asher had figured that I was there so I made a split second decision and stepped out from the darkness of the corner and walked into the kitchen. They had stopped talking when Ash figured out I was there. My brother was just sitting there expressionless, but the girl was giving me a cold stare that was lacking any emotion except for pure hatred. I don't know what I ever did to her, but that look would've killed the happiest person in the world.

"So that's her then." She said raising her eyebrows at me and putting on her sunglasses. "A lot less impressive than I thought she would be, but whatever." I saw Ash nudge her hard just as I was about to speak, "You don't even know......." I was cut off as the girl scraped the chair back and got up, flipping her brown hair over her shoulder. She walked past me and said, "Shut up." Of course she didn't say that, but  use your imagination.

I sat down at the chair she just left, staring at the door through which the girl had disappeared

I sat down at the chair she just left, staring at the door through which the girl had disappeared. I faced Ash and caught him looking at me with a mix of emotions on his face. I wasn't very good at interpreting emotions, but I was pretty sure that one of them was guilt.

"Who the Hell was that, and why the Hell were you guys talking about me? She doesn't have the right to insult someone she doesn't know. God!" I said clearly frustrated.

"A friend, now can we just forget that ever happened and eat so that I don't have to drive you to school." He gave me a weak smirk that was his way of asking for an apology. I glared at him.

"Yea, Ash of course. I totally understand and that gives me complete knowledge of why she said that stuff to me." I said in a voice that dripped with honey and sarcasm. 

"If she is just a friend, how come she said she missed mom? How would she have even known her when she's like my age? Explain that."

"I thought we agreed that we were going to forget that it ever happened?"

"I lied."

"Come on, Nix. Please?"

"No Ash! What are you keeping from me? Mom just died, we shouldn't be keeping things from each other." I thought over my statement and decided that I should stop giving people advice if I'm not going to end up taking it.

You know what forget it I have to go or I'm gonna be late for school. Bye." I got up, grabbed my bag and a banana and walked to the door. " And by the way, if we are going to be keeping secrets from each other, maybe Phoenix will do."

"Nix, wait I can explain. You're not being fair"

"No Asher, forget it. I don't want an explanation. And life's not fair. You of all people should know that." I put on my flats and walked outside, closing the door behind me. But not before seeing the sad, and conflicted look on Ash's face from my peripheral vision.

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Hey.........

Any good guys?? Tell me in the comment below.