Chapter 1

I looked at her in horror. She was cold and lifeless. Her body lay limp in my arms as I cry silently, my tears falling upon her pale skin.

Why? How? I kept asking myself even though I knew the answer already. I knew the reason why and I knew how. What I didn’t know was how to fix it. How was I to stop any of it?

Looking at the lifeless body I held in my arms, I squeezed her gently towards me. It was all I could do. All I knew how to do.

“I’m so sorry,” I whispered through my tears, standing up with her still in my arms. “I never meant for this to happen.”

Walking her lifeless body out of the dark room, my cold eyes looked up at her father and mother. Her mother was a beautiful chocolate color and she cried tears that even I had never seen before in my life while her father stared at me. His lips were pulled into a thin line and he gave me a curt nod before wrapping a reassuring arm around his wife. I nodded back and carried her down a silent hallway, my shoes moving against the tile and signaling every dust particle in my path that I was arriving.

I looked down at her and kept what tears I had left at bay. I couldn’t show more emotion than I already had. As her mouth lay open and her eyes now missing, I stared at the horror that spoke volumes among her face. Even while staring at her face I yearned to see her beautiful hazel eyes that had a look to them that could never be copied or replaced, but they were gone.

My grip on her tightened slightly as I continued down the hall, my steps bouncing off the empty walls as I carried her out of the building. This was what they had wanted and so I had to comply. It was how things went and how they always did. With what respect her parents had left in me, I obeyed their wishes. Part of me believed that it was something that I, myself had wanted as well.

“Don’t blame yourself, Daniel.” I heard the familiar voice whisper to me in my ear as I stepped out of the building and into the night. I turned my head in the direction the voice was coming from and felt my heart wrench at the sight of the hazel eyed beauty. If not for carrying her cold, lifeless body in my very own hands I would have thought that maybe she was really standing there. I would have reached out to touch her, I would have pulled her close and kissed her angel like lips just once more, but I couldn’t because she was gone. The woman who had whispered those words in my ear was nothing more than a ghost, an echo of the woman who was once my world. Her transparent body only further added to my pain.

“I’m so sorry,” I whispered, hearing my voice crack. It was hard to sound as if I was alright with letting her go. I don’t know what had possessed me to even try to feel that way, but I had wanted her to at least think that I could let her go.

“Don’t be. I’ll always be with you,” She said soothingly, her hand coming up to cover my eyes just as a wolf ran up to me and stole her physical body from my arms. I wanted to run after the animal, but I knew that I couldn’t. I couldn’t risk missing my final moments with her.

“I’m so sorry.”

“Stop blaming yourself,” She scolded, bringing her face toward mine and placing her ghostly lips against my own. “My blood is on the hands of my murderer. Not of my lover,” She assured me, her body fading slowly into nothingness.

When I opened my eyes and stared at the nothingness that had taken her place, I felt myself break down. I could feel the tears running from my eyes and I couldn’t stop it. I didn’t want to stop. I wanted to grief and even more, I wanted revenge.