Chapter 26: Don't Let Me Fall

Chapter 26

It was just a dream, just a moment ago.- B.O.B, Don't Let Me Fall

I immediately pulled away from the kiss.

"Why are you doing this?" I asked him. He chewed on the side of his cheek.

This last month had just been dandy.

"Why are you doing this?" I repeated. My voice had a rare crack in it. A crack from nervousness or sadness, I wasn't quite sure which though.

"It's what you wanted. Sam, I need to tell you something, but you're not going to trust me. You're not going to want to be with me. You're not going to want to love me again."

I doubt I could just stop loving him. I couldn't just quit cold turkey. We'd been through so much. A car crash, two near break ups, a broken hand, a concussion, a divorce.

"The wreck brought back memories I'd shoved away."

He sat down on a fallen tree, I took the spot beside him, keeping a good distance. He took a deep breath.

Although when we'd left the house it was warm, the air was beginning to get chilly. I didn't have a jacket, and usually would of asked Jaxon for his, but the time didn't seem appropriate.

"Back when I was a sophmore at Marceline, I dated this senior--Brooke Weston ."

The name sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite place it with a face.

"She was a bitch, but everyone loved her. We fought all the time. The only good thing about her, was the sex." He stopped talking and lowered his head, probably remembering it.

I patiently waited till he was ready to continue.

"You've got to understand something about Brooke Weston. All Brooke Weston wanted was sex, sex, and a boyfriend that could give her sex."

I found it strange that he didn't refer to her as just Brooke, but as Brooke Weston. Maybe he thought that I might confuse Brooke Weston--The slut that everyone adored--with his innocent baby sister Brooke.

"She complained about everything. How my hair was too long, how I always paid more attention to sports than her. She was a cheerleader, so she didn't understand at all. Thinking back now, dating her was a pretty bad decision. Not all bad though."

A cheerleader? How did he possibly manage a cheerleader? They're so peppy, and gross.

"I know exactly what you're thinking. 'Ew. How could he of dated a cheerleader?' She somehow put you under a spell or something. She just had a charm about her."

"I'm assuming you had a lot of sex with her?"

He half grinned the adorable grin he did only when he was embarrassed or nervous.

"Ya. A lot." His cheeks were turning a light shade of red.

"We're you in love with her?"

"I thought I was. But I was more in live with the idea of her."

The wind started to pick up, the smell of spring air blowing by. I covered my arms which provided a little bit of warmth. Goose pimples rose on my arms, and I knew that Jaxon saw me tense up.

"Here take this." Jaxon began to pull off his hoodie. It was a green and black Under Armour sweatshirt that I'd worn several times.

I felt obligated to turn him down, but I honestly wanted it. I grabbed for it, then thanked him, an awkward silence following.

"We were on our way home from a basketball game in Kirksville, and we were fighting about how she thought I thought she was fat. She was a little crazy at the time. She slapped me, and I ran a red light. We were hit by a truck, and then an SUV hit the passenger side." He began staring off in the distance, his eyes empty.

"She died." I assumed.

"Not instantly. Ambulances took us to the hospital. She was unconscious, her legs were crushed, and her neck was broke. All I had was a broken wrist, and she was broken everywhere. Right before she died, she woke up, and all she kept saying was my name, like I was the only one that could help her. I was her last hope. Your dad was on call, and when she died, he was the only one that could restrain me. So that's how I met your father."

I opened my mouth.

"He'd never told you that had he?"

I shook my head.

"Is that why he doesn't like you?"

He laughed.

"Because he watched me kill an innocent teenager? Not entirely."

"You didn't kill her, it was an accident." I immediately said.

"It was me who ran the light. No one else did that. It was all me. She slapped me, but I shouldn't of got mad. I shouldn't of looked away. I never even got to say goodbye." Tears started spilling from his eyes, along with whines that he was trying to hide. I grabbed the hand that was sitting on the fallen tree. I could feel his hand and body trembling. He looked up at me, his face covered with shock, and tears.

I'd never actually seen him cry. It seemed weird, and took me by surprise. Jaxon Duncan, something. That sentence didn't really make much sense. It went against his personality, especially in my presence.

"When the medic said you didn't have a heart beat, I didn't know what was going to happen to me. I spent over an hour thinking you were dead, and all I could think about was how bad of a person I used to be before you happened to me."

"So this is what you've been hiding from me?" I asked--hopeful. I could live with this. I could still love him.

"Not exactly. It's all leading up to the grand finale."

Yay, more good news. Not.

"Brooke and me had a lot of sex an-" I quickly, and rudely interrupted him.

"I really don't need the details, so if this has anything to do with what you guys did on your Friday nights, I'll just leave now." I said, disgusted.

He chuckled a deep throaty laugh.

"Brooke and I had a lot of sex." He stated again.

"We've established this like five times, so what about it?"

He sighed. He took his sweet time to continue on. He cleared his face of all the tears, cleared his nose of all snot, then slowly turned his entire body towards me.

"Baby Brooke isn't my sister, she's my daughter."

And just like that, I'd fallen.