Chapter 13: Sincerely Sam

Chapter 13

"Sammy, if you get another foul you're done." Coach Finch said. I nodded my head.

I went and checked in for Jordan.

"Who you got?" I yelled at her as she was running to the bench.

"Ten." She yelled back.

Perfect.

Katie smiled when she realized I would be guarding her. I smiled back at the bitch. What is it about basketball makes me so aggressive?

I had to play a full quarter without getting a foul, which seemed unlikely with these refs. The score is sixty to sixty one, Marceline by one.

"How are you holding up Sammy? Sorry I accidentally knocked you down on that lay-up."

I rolled my eyes, then waited for the ball to be inbounded. The ball came to me around half court. I took four strong dribbles then pulled up for the three.

Swish.

"You know Katie, I think I might have a fever because I am hot!"

I shook my hands like they were on fire. She glared at me as she waited for the ball to get across half-court. The ball was passed to her. She dribbled in to the free-throw line. She went up for a shot, but I blocked it. I knew that was a mistake, and I waited to be called for my fifth foul, but it never came, and instead the ball went out of bounds.

"I think you may of just got blocked by a midget." I said, a smile on my face.

The score remained the same for the next three minutes, but then the tall one hit an eight foot jumper from the baseline and it was all tied up. There was about four minutes left to play, and I still hadn't got my fifth foul.

"Shoey, you're five for six on three's, if you get an open look I want you to take it. Jordan you've got to drive. You're our best free throw shooter, we need you at the line." Everyone was assigned a specific task that we were supposed to follow. Coach had this worried look on his face, clearly afraid our winning streak was going to be compromised.

"Don't worry Coach, we won't let you down." I smiled, and he returned it, but only half hearted. I didn't blame him though.

I made two more three pointers, but they came back with a three and a lay-up. I was having a good rebounding night, which was unusual for me. Being small and rebounding against people that are thirteen inches taller than you doesn't always have a good outcome.

I followed a missed shot by Megan and the ball came to me. I was quickly surrounded by white jersey's. I was knocked to the ground. I got elbowed in the nose hard by the six foot girl. I could taste the blood running into my mouth. My nose felt as if it were on fire. It was broken. I was slow to get up when I saw my own blood in a puddle on the floor. I cupped my nose, but it was still dripping.

Both of the officials blew their whistle at the same time.

"Thirteen, you alright?" The official that t'd me up asked.

I didn't reply, and instead I ran over to the end of the bench where Noah would soon be examining my face. The other trainer quit so Noah had become the team's unofficial trainer.

"Sam, Sam, Sam." He said, shaking his head. He tilted my head backwards then began digging in his bag.

"Wow. You made it almost a whole month without an injury." I laughed but the pain only radiated out. I winced.

"If I were you I wouldn't laugh, it only makes it worse." He suggested.

Thanks, Captain Obvious.

I turned my head to the side and saw a few guys mopping up what appeared to be my blood.

Noah shoved something in each of my nostrils, then began to put a splint over my nose.

"Can I go back in?" I eagerly asked.

"You can, but you'll have to where this." He said, holding up a face mask. I quickly took it from him.

"You are the first person that has taken that willingly." He said, sounding shocked.

"It may not be pretty but it will get me back in the game."

He dug some more in his bag then pulled out a bottle of advil. He dumped five tablets in his hand then handed them to me.

"You'll need all of them, trust me."

I strapped my mask on, then began heading towards coach. I quickly turned around and gave him the biggest hug I could manage around his large shoulders.

"What was that for?" he said after I finally let him go.

I pondered it for a moment, then realized that I honestly didn't know.

"You do a lot, and I thought you deserved a hug."

He smiled. It was almost identical to Jaxon's.

I slowly walked over to Coach Finch.

"I'm fine now."

He looked from me to all the blood on the floor.

"If this game wasn't close you would be out for the rest of the game." He said in a frustrated tone.

It took a few more minutes for them to get all the blood but we were eventually back on the court playing.

"That was for Jaxon." Katie said to me as I brought the ball up the court.

"Hannah, Maroon!" I called down to her.

I patiently waited for her to set a screen. When it was set I took a few dribbles then took my time setting up a three.

Swish.

"That was for you Katie." I said, making a heart shape with my hands.

Author's Note

So this chapter has been written for awhile I just wanted to give people the chance to catch up on the last chapter. I would just like to send a shout out to all my fans! I am very pleased with how this chapter turned out, and I hope you enjoyed it. I tried to use some humor in it. Sorry if it wasn't very funny.

-Maddie