The Quest Begins

The Quest Begins

"Why didn't he give you more notice?" Sean asked.

We were in the middle of throwing random stuff on the bed to shove in the small bag that Lucius said was all we could bring. The short notice was not going over too well with Sean. He was complaining that he didn't have enough time to say goodbye and how Lucius should have given more warning, that I shouldn't go... he just was going on and on! It was getting so annoying!

"I don't know Sean!" I snapped at him, "I don't know why he didn't give me more notice! Why don't you ask him yourself!" and with that I stormed out the door leaving Sean looking dumbstruck.

I didn't know where I was going but I knew I had to get far away for awhile. I ran all the way to the staircase and up and out of the store. Lucius was there but he didn't say anything. I just kept running for awhile, it felt good not having to run because I was forced to, with Devin on my back. When I finally stopped I didn't know where I was but I didn't care. I was alone, in a forest. I stood there for awhile and I finally realized where I was. This forest was where we were turned. I hopped up in a tree to just sit and think. I had been sitting there for awhile when I suddenly got the sense that I was being watched. I really wasn't in the mood for talking at the moment.

"Whoever you are, go away. You're wasting your time. I'm not gonna talk to you."

"But Sam, I'm worried about you. I don't want to see you go angry." said a sad voice from behind me.

I turned around but didn't see anything, but when I looked down I saw a tear stained Will sitting in a shrub underneath the tree I was sitting in. I hopped down and sat next to him, I may not have wanted to talk to anyone but when I saw that William was crying I had to know why.

"Why are you crying Will?" I asked him.

"You're leaving," he replied. "I don't want you to leave and get hurt."

"I won't get hurt Will, don't worry," I said trying to comfort him. "I'll be back before you know it and then I'll take you out for the biggest bowl of ice cream you have ever seen to celebrate. How's that sound?"

He smiled a tiny bit and I noticed his hand was trying to cover up his knee, "What happened to your knee Will?"

"I was gonna come up and sit next to you in the tree but I missed the one branch and fell. I scraped my knee on the tree." He said through a couple sniffs.

"I see," I said trying to sound professional. "Well let's see it then."

He took his hand off and I saw the scrape, it was still bleeding. I picked him up and took him back to the village and back to the penthouse. I didn't even look at Sean when I walked in, but I saw Lucius sitting with him talking to him. I took Will into the bathroom and cleaned up his knee and put a cool band-aid on it. That seemed to cheer him up. Then I went out and got him a Popsicle and we set out on the terries while we were waiting for Lucius and Sean to finish talking. Lucius came out and sent Will inside so he could talk with me.

His regular calm expression quickly changed to fury. His eyes turned from his cerulean blue to black and his hair started to blow violently around him. He just stared at me for a moment before starting.

"What were you thinking!" he shouted at me. "I don't think you realize how dangerous it is for you run away before your quest begins!"

"I- I-I..." I stammered. I didn't know what to say, the only other time I saw him like this was the day we were turned. I may be stronger now but it still scared me.

"I haven't even put the protection on you yet! If one of Weston's minions had been in the woods instead of William... I don't know what we would have done!" He continued, but it seemed to be the end of the shouting. His expression went back to the usual calmness, is eyes went back to blue and he fixed his hair, it was like it had never happened, even though I was sure that everyone in the village heard him.

"I-I-I'm sorry, Lucius." I whispered.

"I don't think you understand how dangerous it is for you to be out by yourself. Weston found out about the prophecy and he knows that we have you. He had sent many of his minions to try to kill you already and the only reason that he hasn't gotten to you is because I set a protection charm on you and have had Sean and Will watching out for you along with myself, but the charm expired this morning and I was going to replace it right before you left, but when I saw that you had left I had to place it early. This means that it will break sooner than expected and when you're out of my range I cannot place the charm on you again, so you will be on your own. I hope you're ready, because you're quest for good begins now."

"Don't worry, Lucius. I'm ready. I will find him and I will win."

"I sure hope so." He said calmly.

He got up and walked towards the door turning back only to remind me to be in the town square in ten minutes for the departure ceremonies and left with Will. I turned back to Sean who still looked hurt from my snap at him earlier.

"I'm sorry about before." I said with no reply, he just continued to shove stuff in the tiny bag. "I didn't mean to snap at you, I was just so frustrated and I was trying to figure out my thoughts and it just happened. I'm sorry." This time he looked at me.

"I'm not mad about you snapping at me, I'm mad that you left the village. You're about to leave on a mission that could potentially save both the mortal and vampire worlds and you're the only one who can complete it. You won't be too much help if you're dead will you. That's what will happen if you're careless like that again, think of me, think of Will! He loves you so much that when he saw you leaving he followed you even though he knew it was dangerous and that it would get him in trouble with Lucius. What do you think would have happened if you got attacked? You could have been hurt and so could Will. You can't just go running off anymore, Sam. It's a dangerous world out there right now and even more so for you. I don't want to lose you and neither does anyone else, but if it was up to Weston you would have been killed during you're transformation." That's when I looked up.

"What are you talking about?"

"During you're transformation, one of Weston's minions had gotten in and had tried to kill you, but lucky for you Lucius had seen it before it happened and I was here waiting when he got here, but if Lucius hadn't see him you would have been killed and then Weston could never be stopped."

I didn't know what to say, so I said nothing. We just continued to shove things in the bag until we heard the gathering cannon calling everyone to town square. Then I gathered everything and headed to the square. Looking around at my surroundings, the big trees, the old timey buildings, and the mile long staircase, these would be with me my entire trip as I realized that if things took a turn for the worst this would be the last time I walk these streets.

"We are gathered today to recognize a great feat of bravery. These two people, Samantha Evans and Devin Thomas are going on a dangerous quest that could very well end their lives. They are going to hunt down and kill, Jack Weston." Lucius turned to us. "This mission is dangerous; you will be in great peril the entire time. The fate of both the mortal and vampire worlds are in your hands. Your quest begins now."