11

SONG: Turning Page: Sleeping At Last

BLUE: (whispering, small) "You signed it."

HARRY: (pained) "Yeah."

BLUE: "So, this means . . . it's over?"

HARRY: (realizing) "Wait, what? No,
no, it can't be over."

BLUE: (confused) "But we both signed it."

HARRY: "Well, that doesn't mean anything." (loud, scratchy) "We don't have to give it to them! We can just get rid of it!" (grabbing packet, tears starting to roll down, BLUE grabs the packet from HARRY before he can rip it) "Stop!"

BLUE: (crying) "Stop! Don't rip it! Stop!"

HARRY: "This can't be over!" (gets paper back from BLUE, BLUE grabs onto HARRY's wrists) "We can't end like this!"

Papers fly everywhere, BLUE jumps down from the stool and grabs one. HARRY falls to his knees, hands in his hair. BOTH crying.

BLUE: (choking, sobbing) "Harry! Look what you did!"

HARRY: "I couldn't let you go through with it! I couldn't let that happen to us!"

BLUE: (stunned) "Why not? It's better for the both of us."

HARRY: "No. It's not. I don't want this. You don't want this. You don't. I don't know why you think this is a good choice, but it's not. It's quite the opposite."

BLUE: "Why can't you see that I'm hurting you? Why can't you see that I'm not making you happy? Why can't you see that you're not smiling?"

HARRY: (quiet, grabs BLUE's wrists and pulls them from her face, hands are trembling, crying harder) "I'm not happy because you're not happy. You're my sunshine. How can I be lit if my world is not lit?"

BLUE: (sniffling) "I'm your sunshine?"

HARRY: (smiling at BLUE, kisses BLUE's forehead) "You're my everything."

BLUE: (blushes, more tears) "I love you."

HARRY: (crying again) "I love you, darling. I'll never stop loving you. I'll never stop." (pulls BLUE into his lap, they lay among the scattered papers)

BLUE: (after a minute, begging) "Please stop leaving me. Don't leave me here again. Please."

HARRY: (pushes BLUE's hair away, kisses her forehead) "Never again. You've got me."

BLUE: (hopeful) "You'll make me happy again?"

HARRY: (smiling, nodding) "Only if you let me."

BLUE: "You'll make me eat three meals every day?"

HARRY: "Only if you want me to."

BLUE: "Thank you. For not letting those papers go through. I would die without you."

HARRY: (smile falters, realizes the seriousness of the situation) "I would die without you, chéri."

BLUE: (coughs, eyes flutter shut, hums)

HARRY: "Goodnight, Blue." (kisses BLUE's hair, leans against the wall, eyes close)

p.s. I was going to have them actually divorce, thank me