68. Everything's Changed

Start from the beginning

"I wonder what's going on that I don't know," Harry whispered to Ron and Hermione.

Ron shrugged. "I don't know, but people are looking at you funny, Harry."

"Even I noticed," Hermione said softly.

"I just hope it's nothing that they're going to hold against me." Harry turned his attention back to Dumbledore. He had said something about Azkaban.

"Whilst I have been assured that their presence here will not disrupt our day to day lives, I must ask you to exercise caution. It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving should you wonder outside the boundaries. Be careful. Now off to bed you go. Pip, pip."

Harry's eyes widened. "The Dementors are going to be here?"

"Yeah, that's right. You have reason to worry, dont you, Potter?" Malfoy spot. He was walking down the aisle. "Is it true you actually fainted?"

He rolled his eyes. "Yes. What of it?"

Malfoy imitated Harry fainting. "You're weak, Potter."

Hermione stood. "He's stronger than you."

He glared at her, taking a step forward.

Harry was on his feet as fast as lightning and stepped in front of her protectively. "Don't even think about it." Malfoy smirked and he went on about his business. Harry turned around to face Hermione. "You alright?"

She smiled shyly. "Never better."

"What do you suppose that was about?" Alaina asked Severus. They were still sitting at the staff table.

He shrugged. "No idea, but Harry obviously can protect himself and his friends."

She grinned. "Yes, he can."

The loud clearing of someone's throat got Alaina's and Severus's attention right away. It was Dumbledore. Severus told Alaina to stay put and he walked over to the Headmaster.

"Severus, I want you and Alaina to meet me in my office. There are some things we need to discuss. Important things concerning Mr. Potter and myself."

"Of course, sir."

"I'll meet you there in ten minutes."

Severus walked back over to Alaina.

"What was that about?" she asked.

"Dumbledore wants to meet with us and I have a feeling it is not good news."

~ * ~

It didn't take long for Severus and Alaina to get to Dumbledore's office. True to his word, he came in not far behind them.

"Please have a seat," he invited.

Alaina sat down and silently urged Severus to do the same. Even thought he would have been more comfortable standing, he obliged her anyway.

"Now," Albus said clasping his hands together in front of him. "I have some things to tell you. I informed the rest of the staff yesterday, but I wanted to speak to the pair of you alone. Those who read the newspapers already knew. First of all, congratulations on coming out of the closet so to speak." He smiled at the both of them. They returned the gesture.

"Thank you," Severus said.

He nodded. "Now let us get down to the other reason," Albus continued. He pulled out a few copies of The Daily Prophet and put them in front of his two visitors. "After several meetings with the Minister of Magic, he had decided that both Harry and myself are mad. Voldemort, according to him, has not returned."

Alaina stared down at the newspaper in front of her. FUDGE: ALL IS WELL flashed before her eyes and anger rose up inside of her as the next headline made an appearance right after that one: POTTER OR PLOTTER? THE TRUTH BEHIND HIS LIES. She glanced at Severus. He was looking down at the paper too and she could see that he too was upset.

"This is ridiculous!" Alaina exclaimed. "What? Does he have to be facing Voldemort himself before he'll believe that he's returned?"

"I suppose," Dumbledore told her. "I'm really unsure. He's fearful of the possibility. Everyone is."

"That's no excuse," she argued.

He sighed. "I feel the same."

Severus pressed his lips together. "I could prove it to him, Albus. One look at the Dark Mark and he could no longer deny it."

"I'm afraid we've already tried that. We had Lucius brought in from Azkaban to do just that. He saw the mark was thriving and Fudge still refuses to believe it's true."

Severus's eyes widened in disbelief. "Then he's the one who's mad. He's going to get people murdered just because he can't face the truth."

"Exactly what I told him," Albus admitted. "He remains adamant about the whole thing, which brings me to the next order of business. I'm afraid if the Ministry won't help me, we'll have to take Voldemort on alone. And when I say we I mean the members of the Order of the Phoenix. I've been contacting some of the former members, which is why Lupin is here this year. I anticipate that we'll need the extra security. And I wanted to ask you if you will join me."

"Of course," Alaina said. She didn't even have to think about it. "I'm in."

"Great. Severus?"

Severus looked him straight in the ey. "After what he did to me? You can bet I'm in."

Dumbledore smiled. "I was hoping to get both of you on board. I'm not sure how the students will react to Harry, but I assure you that the staff is behind him one hundred percent."

Alaina smiled. That was a comforting thought. She stood. "I think, if the meeting is over, I'm going to turn in for the night."

"It is."

Severus stood as well. He gently took her by the shoulders and pressed his lips against hers. Alaina was completely surprised. It was the first time he had kissed her in front of anyone but Harry and that was only because he had walked in on them.

"Goodnight, love," he said when they parted.

She smiled lovingly at him. "Goodnight." She left him standing there with Dumbledore as she walked out of the office.

"I"m glad to see you happy, Severus," Albus confessed. "It suits you."

"Thank you." He sighed. He was happy, but there were other things on his mind too. "I could convince the Minister, Albus," he said. "I was tortured by Voldemort just a few months ago. I saw him with my very own eyes."

"I know. I tried that too, Severus. He refused to believe me. He dismissed the fact that you saw Voldemort, saying that you couldn't be sure of anyone's identity under durress from torture."

"That's proposterous. I know who I saw."

"I know you do. That's why we, and the other members of the Order, will have to take matters into our own hands."

Severus sighed. He was afraid that would lead to losses. As a matter of fact, there was no doubt in his mind that it would. Everything changed and he feared that there would be nowhere that was safe anymore. Not even Hogwarts.