11. Bonnie and Clyde

I lay in bed that night, unable to sleep. I tossed and turned with images of Eli flashing through my mind. His whole hearted smile, him playing with his sisters, the way his lips twitch when he's trying to hold back laughter. I felt excited at the prospect of seeing him again, but also I felt a sense of foreboding.

This attraction could only ruin our relationship, Mia was right when she said that he could never like me, I'm just not his type. I'm not some leggy blonde with flawless looks, I'm not polite and gentle, I'm rough around the edges. Beyond that, my brothers could absolutely destroy him if we ever did date.

When I saw him in the cafeteria, waiting with the rest of our group, I felt inadequate in my skinnys and boots combo. Then I got angry at myself for liking him, I knew it would only make things more complicated. I had no idea how to act around him, he made me nervous, like anything I do could scare him off at any second and break my heart.

"Peyton!" I heard a voice call to me and I was surprisingly relieved to see Tristan jogging towards me. "Will you sit with me today? I thought we could catch up" he offered, signalling to an empty table. I looked over to my normal table and saw Eli staring at us, his mysterious eyes boring into me. I nearly collapsed under the pressure of his stare and chickened out, deciding to avoid talking to him as much as possible.

"Sure, I guess" I said reluctantly as I followed him to sit down opposite him.
"So how are you?" he asked, trying desperately to make conversation. I wanted to have a normal conversation with him, but my head was too busy whirring with thoughts of a certain Antonelli. From where I was sat I had a great vantage point of the table and it did not escape my attention that they were glancing in my direction with confused looks. Eli looked particularly stony today, he could give the statues in the park a run for their money. What was wrong with him? How could there be two very different sides to a person?

"Can I ask you something? Without sounding weird" I asked, leaning forward to whisper.
"Sure?" he said with a confused expression painted across his face.
"Why did you like me?" I asked as his eyebrows shot up "Its just that I look at myself and you know, I can't really imagine anyone like me, what could anyone possibly see in me?" I rushed the words, feeling more awkward by the second, unable to stop myself from looking over at Eli.

Whilst part of me was relieved to not have to talk to him, the other part of me yearned for him because when I was around him everything was better, conversation was more engaging, food tasted better and the world was just a little bit brighter.

"Well Peyton, I like you because you're a lot more beautiful than you give yourself credit for. Seriously, you're the most gorgeous girl in this school" he gave me a flirty smile, he wasn't being subtle about his intentions.
"I thought Mia Hastings was unequivocal beauty queen at this school" I smirked as I watched her walking through the cafeteria.

My jaw almost dropped when I saw her sit down next to Eli. My fists clenched as anger coursed through my veins, it was unbridled jealousy and I knew that now. That explained why I wanted to tear her head off like a Barbie doll, but I had to suppress my violent urges and act casual.

"Well Mia is hot..." he trailed off. My mouth went dry as I watched her drape her arm over his shoulder, but to my relief he was not returning her affection, he even pushed her arm away.
"Charming" I murmured, looking down at my lunch.
"Oh wait- Peyton I didn't mean it like that" he grovelled, realising his mistake.

"Oh just save it Tristan, I'm not interested in rekindling that romance. You've proven that you're obviously not that interested otherwise you might be able to actually stick to one girl" I sighed as I stood up, planning to take my seat at my normal table, no longer worried, just blinded by pure jealousy.
"Peyton! Wait" he called after me as I walked away. When I reached the table Mia stood up and glared at me.

"What is she doing here?" she hissed at Tristan.
"I'm sorry Mia, she just stormed off" he apologised as we all stared at the pair flabbergasted.
"God Peyton, why are you obsessed with him? Why can't you just get your own guy? Oh wait, you can't" she said before her lips formed at evil smirk.

"What are you babbling about Mia?" Silver asked in a harsh tone.
"Little Montgomery can't even get a guy for herself. I literally had to pay Tristan to start dating you again just to get you away from Eli" she was proud of herself, even though she was making herself look like a complete fool.

"You are seriously so dumb" by this point half the cafeteria was watching us square up. "If I have so much trouble getting a guy why are you afraid of me and Eli being friends? Honestly, are you that insecure about yourself that you have to resort to paying your minions to help you harass a guy? Seriously, drop the Bonnie and Clyde act".

She looked at me, her jaw practically hitting the floor. I was so unbelievably mad at her that I didn't care that I was making a scene. I think I stunned her to silence. I took a step closer to her so that I could whisper.

"Stay away from me and my friends and we won't have a problem any more" I hissed before turning to leave, I couldn't stand being around her any more and I could physically feel all the eyes that were focused on me, but I thought I'd made my point. For the first time in the history of the entire world, the blonde bimbo had nothing to say.

My immense satisfaction almost outweighed my anger, but she had really riled me up. I pictured her hands sliding over Eli's shoulders again and I had to fight the urge to slam my fist into the nearest locker.

It's not until I was most of the way down the corridor that I heard someone calling my name.
"Peyton!" Eli called, sending my heart racing. Even the sound of his voice now was enough to send me into overdrive. I walked faster with the hopes of avoiding him, I was certain I would make a fool of myself if I talked to him. I'd say "Hey Eli, that jumper fits you well" or "Did you get new hair gel?" In a half-assed attempt to flirt with him.

"Liliana" he called, and suddenly I couldn't run anymore. My feet stopped as he said my name, the name that only sounded right on his tongue.
"Why are you so upset?" He questioned, walking over to me and breaking the space between us.
"I'm not upset I'm angry" I huffed, collapsing down to sit on the stairs.

My skin erupted as he sat down close to me, his leg touching my knee. He was so much taller than me it was almost comical, we'd make a crappy pantomime horse. Why would I even think that? I sighed, just being in his vicinity was making me think stupid thoughts, it was like my brain had melted.

"Do you know what? I don't think I've ever been so proud of you" he chuckled, surprising me, I looked up at him and smiled, an almost child-like grin.
"When you were up there tearing into her, I swear, I've never seen anything so impressive in my life. I wanted to applaud you". I giggled, his sideways smile making my stomach flip. "I wanted to get up there and help you, but I knew you could handle yourself".

"I grew up with seven brothers, I know how to win an argument" I winked at him. He looked down at me with a twinkle of amusement in his eyes and it nearly took my breath away. Having his appreciation meant the world to me and in that moment, with his eyes on mine, I felt worthy.

I felt excited, I felt like there was some kind of connection, like we were magnets being pulled together. His face changed from that amused twinkle to a serious, determined one. His stare was intense and I would have looked away blushing if I wasn't so entranced by his eyes. They were truly amazing, utterly unique like him. I felt myself beginning to heat up, excitement building up inside of me at the intimate moment.

My skin buzzed and my heart raced. I was practically shaking. I found myself hoping that he would kiss me, and I would surrender my lips to him. I unconsciously licked my lips. But all too soon reality kicked down the front door and the bell rang, signalling the beginning of class.

***

Thank you for reading! I really appreciate the support that's been building up for 7B, you're all amazing. Thank you so much for voting, it means everything!

As always, let me know what you think? Are you surprised about Mia and Tristan? What are you hoping happens next between Eli and Peyton?

JJ xo