Chapter 2

Edith Pov

After I ask Lucille for a copy of the keys which she strangely refused, Thomas suggested I should take a hot bath to warm me up to which I happily accepted. He leads me up to the bathroom and left me alone so I striped down till I was only left in my chemise and corset. I turned on the faucet and let out a yelp because the very first sputters were red was blood. The recalcitrant heater on both sides of the tub began to knock, the pipes vibrating like a death rattle, then growing louder, a horrible sound and then the water turned clear and hot. I took my glasses off and climbed into the tub. After some time I actually started to warm up. I just let my thoughts wander back to my wedding as a strong blow of wind made the panes rattle in the round leaded window above me. I started to feel a little uneven so I sunk deeper into the tub, the suddenly there was a noise of someone whispering...or perhaps crying?

Just your imagination, I though and tried let the warm water relax me again. And yet my mind went back to the scene at the elevator...Could there be an intruder in this house? Just then there were rustle in the bedroom I flinched and started to listen carefully. "Thomas?" I called out but no responds. Just then the little dog walked into the room with his ball in his mouth. "Not now..", I said a little annoyed thinking it was him who scared me, but he looked so cute and innocent up at me that I couldn't stay mad at him. "Okay okay..." I took the ball out of his mouth. "Fetch!" I called as I threw the ball into the hallway the dog running after him. I really need to give him a name. I felt like I heard the rustle again maybe Thomas was preparing our bed for the night. Our bed. We hadn't shared a bed until now since he was a real gentlemen and respected my mourning but now I'm ready to be a real wife for him. The dog returned victoriously and waited impatiently for me to throw it again. So I did. There was this sound again and it really stared to scare me I would go check it out but not without the dog, there were some unsafe corners in this house or at least Lucille had put it like that. Time moved on but the dog didn't returned. My anxiety began to rise. Something's off...Then the dog trotted back into the room but without his ball. "Doggie? Come here, silly. Where's your ball?" just as I asked I heard a thump I looked to the floor and saw the ball bouncing back to me on its own. I jumped and reached for my glasses but I was trembling so hard that I dropped them. Luckily they didn't break. When I finally placed my now wet and fogged glasses on my nose I left the tub and dressed myself. I slowly stared to walk into the bedroom with the dog in my arms but there was no one. How strange..."Lucille made you tea!" Thomas said behind me and I spun around. He set down the tray and took my hand in his. "Are you okay? You look rather pale dear." I didn't told him. "Yeah I'm fine." I said relived and happy that he was here with me. He poured me a cup of tea, but when I took a sip I found it quite bitter so I grimaced a little. "You don't like it?" He asks sounding a little disappointed.

"What is it?"

"Firethorn berries. It's very good for you."

"It's a bit bitter..."

"Oh dear Edith I'm afraid nothing gentle ever grows on this land. You need to measure of bitterness not to be eaten. To survive."

What is this place I've come too?

Just then an agonized moan filled the room. Instantly I dropped the cup and clung onto Thomas. "What is that?"

"Its only the wind. When the east wind picks up its nearly like the house breathes. Ghastly I know. I cried every time I heard it as child." I noticed that he seemed to be unhappy to be back here and that made me unhappy too. I just wanted to give the happiness he gave me after my father's death back to him. I warped my arms around him and he gently runs his over my back. Suddenly we fall backwards on the bed. I felt a little afraid and nervous...Now, now it would happen. I felt passion rushing over me. His kiss was amazing but still reticent. I wanted to tell him that I want him but I was too shy to do that. "It's been an exhausting journey. You should get some rest!" he said, rose from the bed and left the room. Perhaps he thought that was the best for me but the truth was I wanted nothing more than call after him to stay.

Thomas Pov

I closed the door behind me and leant against it. I poisoned her, lied to her..How could I even think about making love to her right after that? I quickly went back to my working room, it was dark and even more freezing in it but I found strangely much comfort here. Edith is different than those other women maybe it was cause she remind me of Elena. They both shared that strong will to reach their dream; they had the same innocents and believe in the good of the world. I should have brought her here...Why was I so selfish again? I could have left after her father paid us too and none of that would have happened. Her father would be alive and she would be happy again after she forgot about me. I couldn't believe I made that mistake again...hadn't I learned my lesson already when I lost the love of my live. Elena. Often I found myself thinking about what she would be doing right now and if she had already forgotten about me. I know I did the right thing when I let her go but it still hurt me enough to totally abandon the room we used to share. I looked at the small key hanging on the wall. It was the only key I owned in this house yet I never used it but I kept it cause it was the only thing I had left of my once happy live. Ever since Edith had enter my life I felt a little of that happiness again but I know it wouldn't last. Lucille would do what she always did. "My dearest, what are doing up here?" speaking of her, Lucille had entered my room. She rested her hands on my shoulders and I felt myself stiffen. "I just wanted to finish that."

"You don't look very busy to me."

"But I am."

"Thomas, why are you like that? Come on let's just go to bed." I felt a little disgust wash over me. Yes its true I used to enjoy doing those things with her but that stopped when Elena open my eyes to true love. When I didn't answered she continued. "You remember your promise, don't you? You can't fall in love with her."

"I won't", but I was already falling for Edith when I first saw her. "But I rather be alone tonight I'm tired form the long journey."

She gave me a disapproval look but said nothing and left me alone with my thoughts again. I tried to work a little to get my mind off things. Elena always watched me when I worked. She said she loved how passionate I looked. I need to stop thinking about her it's not like I'll see her again. Of course I tried but no where I found a clue to where she could have gone and no matter how hard I tried to forget about her I couldn't. Suddenly I got up, grabbed the key from the wall and made my way to our old bedroom but when I reached the door I couldn't bring myself to actually enter it so I just stood there, starring at the closed door thinking to myself...I miss you..