Chapter 2

Chapter 2
~*~*~*~

"Do you know anyone who would want to hurt you for any reason at all?" the policeman, Officer McHenry asked. His skin was dark, his eyes were gentle, his hair short, and he had a thick mustache. Him and I were alone in his office, I had been asked to come down to the police station to be questioned. Alex and my family came along for moral support. I'm sure they may have interviewed my parents as well, considering I'm a minor.

His question repeated in my head, 'Do you know anyone who would want to hurt you for any reason at all."

"No," I replied. I tried my best to appear as calm and collected as possible. Though, I'm sure I wasn't fooling anyone because I was shaking like a Chihuahua! Well, internally. I hoped.  

I thought about the question again, but not a single person crossed my mind. I don't have any enemies, at least, that I know of. Nor have I provoked anybody to the point of murder. If somebody did have a vendetta towards me, why kill my friends, too?

I opened my mouth to speak, but stopped myself, though the words I wanted to say threatened to spill over on the tip of my tongue. There was something I needed the answer to, it nagged at me, but I was too scared to ask. Where do I even begin? I was going to have to find out eventually and now was as good of a time as any. I needed to get it over with now, rip it off quick like a bandaid.

I looked up at the officer and took a deep breath. 

"Which of my friends were... Are...?" I struggled with finding the words to finish my sentence. Everything that popped up in my head felt too harsh to speak out loud. I couldn't bring myself to say them. 'Which of my friends were murdered?' 'Which of my friends are dead?' 

Never have I ever thought this was how life would go. That those were questions I would one day be asking. A part of me wanted to believe that maybe the police had the wrong information. They weren't my friends, it's not me who's next. The police were mislead, it's another person they need.  

I almost passed out when I first heard the news. If Alex weren't by my side I may have just hit the floor. My mom didn't have the heart to tell me which of my friends were the victims. But why did the police officers think that I somehow connected with all of this? How did they know that I might be the next victim?

Officer McHenry, took out some files in his desk and placed them on top of the table. "The last person murdered that we know of was a female named Sara Henderson. Her body was found in the middle of the street a couple blocks from a small town a couple nights ago." 

I put my hand over my mouth, trying to stop myself from crying out loud. The reality of this situation hit me like a ton of bricks. Any hope I had of this all being a mistake quickly diminished.

"Are you alright, Miss Moore? We don't have to proceed if you're not comfortable. We can discuss this another time," Officer McHenry said, trying to sound as calming and comforting as possible.

"No. I'm fine," I lied, "continue."

"Okay, let me know if you don't feel comfortable discussing this any further." 

I nodded my head as I made a mental note to try and keep it together. She was in my health class Sophomore year, we sat next to each other and grew acquainted with each other. We weren't close friends, but she was a lovely person. I always pictured her growing up and being that soccer mom with three children and a van. Sara was the go-to girl when it came to information. Whether it was about school, people, events, celebrities, you name it.

"The victim before her was a young lady named Anna Martin. Her body was found in her own home. Before her, was a young man named Matthew Clark whose body was found in his vehicle."