Chapter 5

Chapter 5
~*~*~*~

I looked at the time on the radio, it was already 11:00 a.m., I hadn't realized how late I had slept in. My mind was still drowsy and I had the sense that I was forgetting something.

"Wait, Alex, I forgot my money."

"And? Did you need it for something?"

"Um, yeah. To buy food."

"Oh." He smiled at me before turning his attention back to the road and continuing driving forward. I waited for him to do or say something, but he acted like he didn't notice my gaze on him.

"'Oh'?" I said, mockingly. "That's it?"

He laughed. "You know I got you, Ev. You don't even need to worry."

"What? No, that's not fair. Turn around."

"No can do."

"Yes, you can do." My comebacks were awful.

"My truck, my rules," he winked at me.

I turned away from him and leaned my head back against the seat, crossing my arms. "Fine. I'm just going to have to get you back," I said. But Alex laughed, making me smile. "But, anyways," I put my hand on his forearm that was resting on the center console, "thank you."

He looked down at where my hand touched him before looking at me and smiling as a way of saying, 'You're welcome'. I removed my hand a couple seconds after, laying them on my lap as I proceeded to look out the window. An attempt to hide from him seeing me smile.

Alex parked in front of V.I. and then went around the truck to open the door for me. I found myself thinking that whoever he decides to date was going to be one, immensely, lucky girl. Once inside the restaurant, we were seated in a booth. I ordered a water with lemon- so Alex didn't have to pay so much- and the V.I.B. I asked for the strawberry crepes, the cheese egg omelet, biscuits and gravy, and hash browns.

Alex looked at me and smiled, letting out a small laugh.

"What?"

"I've never met a girl who eats as much food as you do. And still stays model skinny."

"I love food," I replied, but tried to hide my blush at his choice of words.

During the wait we just talked like we normally did. No creepy murderers, just life when it was safe and, albeit monotonous. When all I had to worry about were essays, and school, and sports. Alex had a way of calming me and making me feel nothing but comfort. I could only hope that I had the same effect on him.

When the food arrived I finished every last bite and found myself with room still for more food. I didn't want to say anything though for two reasons. One, Alex would make fun of me and two, Alex would have to pay for me.

"Thank you for breakfast."

"Do you want anything else? Anymore food?"

Yes.

"No."

"Are you okay?"

No.

"Yes. Just not that hungry. That's all," I lied.

The waitress walked up to our table and asked if we would like dessert, then mentioned the specials they had on their pies today.

As she spoke, I couldn't help but notice that her eyes remained on Alex. I was only privileged enough to get a glance. I was used to this attention, or lack thereof I should say, with female staff at any customer service business when I was with Alex. I couldn't blame them, he's incredibly handsome. Though, he never seemed to notice, or visibly, at least. From my experience with Alex, he was amazing at making sure his attention remained on whoever he was with.