His reasoning

Emily and Max sat next to little Marina as the door slammed shut. Marina picked up her soft bunny Plushie and waved it around, delighted as her eyes filled with glee and jumped while sitting. "So Max, why in the world do you wanna become a Marine?? You could barely stay put in Hide and Seek in elementary, and now you wanna go where you have to follow orders, and possible die???" Emily exclaimed. Max looked at Marina as she played with her toy and sighed. "I'm not sure exactly. That video you showed me today got me thinking. I realized that no one is ever excited when I come by them, maybe you. I saw the girl in the beginning talking about her dad Joe Myers, and the look on her face was priceless. I wanna come home after being stationed wherever, and give someone that look. I wanna walk past people wearing my uniform and I want them to look at me, salute and say "Thank you for serving our country." Emily smiled and giggled. "Max, that's completely outrageous y'know. I love it when you come with me-" she stopped and blushed, realizing what she had said that couldve given her secret crush on him away. "Sorry, didnt mean it like that. But seriously, everyone loves you dude." Max grinned and thanked her, then they played with Marina for the next hour before she left for home around the block.