2|Relations

As I step out of Delhi airport, each and every nerve of my body is yearning for sleep. But my mind is euphoric and wide awake at the prospect of finally being back.

I had not been able to sleep on flights since I was 12. Before that, dad would always be with me during all flight journeys, talking me through them and calming me down enough that I could sleep and be easy in my head.

If only he was still around.

"There you are!"My best friend screams cheerfully. Abhimanyu Thakkar runs towards me and pulls me into a hug. He is as good as a brother.

"Hey man! Long time." I yell back, equally excited.

" Whoa! Look at you! London has surely bulked you up!" He exclaims, taking in my burly appearance. When I had left for London, I was lean and lanky. Since my visits over the years had been few, Abhi was surprised to see me.

"Sari baatein yahi karega kya be! Chal ab." I mutter impatiently. Its been really long since my last visit and I am getting restless to see mom.

"Haan haan chal. Ab lag raha hai sadu wapas aa gaya!"

As we drive through the Delhi traffic, Abhi tells me about anything and everything that I might have missed, right from breaking up with his 6th girlfriend, to joining his dad's business. He is still exactly the way he was 3 years ago. Cheerful, talkative, warm and full of life. He is my best friend since our first day of primary school. If there's one person except mom who knows me in and out, it's Abhi. His dad, Suraj Thakkar, is the exact older version of him. He has been extremely kind to me and mom. If it wasn't for him (and a scholarship exam which I luckily cleared), I wouldn't have been able to find my way to London in the first place.

After crawling through the traffic for about an hour, we finally pull into the small driveway of my mom's house. It's not very big or lavish. The two-storey building is white with a wide front porch and a small kitchen garden towards the back. Mom loves gardening. This little place, away from the hub-hub of the main city, has been home to me since dad left us.

When I walk in through the front door, I am greeted by mom with a pooja ki thali. Her big, brown eyes are teary as she looks me up and down. Her long hair is pulled back in a bun, showing a grey strand here and there.

As I stand there, looking at the woman who I love and respect the most, I feel a lone tear rolling down my cheek. Mom looks old for her age. I suppose having your world turned upside down and then working around the clock to make both ends meet does that to you.

"Manik!" She squeals and hugs me tight. "Mera baccha. Aankhein taras gai thi tujhe dekhne ke liye!" She sobs.

"Chinta mat kariye Sarika aunty, ab aapka baccha humesha yahi rahega Delhi mei ,aapke paas." Abhi says quietly and then looks at me from the corner of his eye. I glare at him. He knows full well what my plans are. I am not going to stay put in Delhi for long and he knows it. He is being a jerk right now, telling mom I am going to stay here, when he knows I won't.

"Haan. Ab mai tujhe kahin nahi jane dungi." Mom pulls away from me and rotates the thali in front of me.

After lunch, which comprises of all my favourite dishes, and a long session of "beta tu apna dhyan nahi rakhta tha" , mom is finally done for the day. It's time for her to get back to work. She works as a lecturer at Delhi University.

After she leaves,Abhi and I make our way to my room. It's just the way I had left it, only a little tidier. There is a small bed on one side and a writing desk and an almirah on the other. The wall facing my bed is practically covered in pictures of mom, dad, Abhi and me. Overcoming the wave of nostalgia that hits me, I pick up a heavy book and throw it at Abhi as he enters.

"Abey pagal hai kya?" He ducks and screams at me.

"You know that I am not going to stay put over here. And if you go about talking shit like that, mom is going to get her hopes all up." I spit.

"Relax buddy! I know what you are planning to do. But if aunty was to know about it, she would be furious! So I think you should just drop-"

"Shut up! I have my mind set on this. And nothing and no one is going to change it. I am not going to spare that fucking Praveen Singhania!"

Abhi looks at me with unsurity. As much as he wants to destroy that bastard, he is too good to agree with me on this.

"Fine! Do as you wish! But aunty won't like it. And she has been hurt enough!" He glares at me. There is a momentary silence between us.

"Mom has invited you and aunty for dinner tonight. Be there. Soha is dying to meet you." He says and storms out of the room.

Soha.

I groan and fall onto the bed. I hadn't imagined I would have to deal with so much when I got back. It's going to be a long night.
.
.
.
.
.