Forget What I Told You

Calculus had been killing me the entire trimester. And if I didn't pull my head out of my ass, then I wasn't going to graduate. It's was just so unnecessary to me, to have the alphabet mixed in with the numbers, and dealing with tangents. I was about ready to blow my freaking brains out.

I had been placed in the middle of the classroom when the school year started, and where I had been sitting, there were four people around me who I had never spoken to in my four years I've spent in the school. Of course I'd known Jade, Chasten, Malory, and Issac since pre-K. But they've never spoken a word to me, and I the same. I didn't need friends at the time when I had Paul by my side.

Boy, had the times changed.

Paul hadn't been scheduled for second period Calculus, instead he had been placed in Great Modern Novels, which had been a class based entirely on reading books the entire class period, and after reading the book you picked out, the student had to write an entire summary on what that book was about. Paul, I knew had been dreading it. And knowing that he hadn't been any better at Calculus than I was, he'd rather be in here than in there.

I wish I could read wonderful books for fifty-five minutes of an entire class period. But I was scheduled for that class in the third and final trimester of my senior year. So I was just saving the best for last.

So for now I had to deal with the crappy class I thought I didn't need.

I ran my fingers through my hair with frustration. Technically I wanted to pull my hair out, but that would've been a little extreme on my part. I inhaled deeply, and exhaled a deep sigh that had been louder than I naturally intended.

Which I realized had been noticed by Mr. Carter, who instantly stopped writing on the black board, and decided that he wanted to pick on me today.

"Well, perhaps you already know the answer then, Jessica?" He asked. He pointed at me with his thick fingers and the little nub of chalk he held in his hand, I just wanted to leave and get the entire day over with.

"No; actually I don't," I stated boldly, as I stopped my hand in my hair, and placed it at the end of my desk. "I don't get any of this. And I don't think I'll ever get the concept of this class. I don't think using tangents, and sins and cosins are really going to help me in the real world."

"Oh really, and how do you know you're not going to use Calculus in the real world?" One hand when up on his hip, the other hand pushed up his glasses.

"Oh jee, I don't know." I replied. And honestly, someone would usually say that they didn't know what got into them. But I know what got into me.

Calculus class had gotten into me , La Push had gotten into me, those wolf boys, the pressure of graduation, and the fact that Jared had been avoiding me for the last three days. I had just been frustrated, and it was starting to get to me. Because believe me, I would have been glad to give an answer to a complicated problem, even while getting it wrong, then shrinking down in my seat, slowing losing my mind even more. But when I was frustrated, I took it out on everyone. That included Mr. Carter.

It hadn't been a good day at all.

"All I know is that I'm not going to school to be an engineer, or a pilot, or to walk on the moon. Heck, I'm not even going to school to be a nurse. I'm going to school to be an artist. And the last time I checked, I didn't need Calculus, or mathematics for that matter, to do that. Because I draw every day, and I paint when I can, and I can say that I haven't used any equations to do what you're doing. So honestly I don't know why I'm in this class, because all this class is making me want to do is blow my brains out." I casually spoke my mind. I knew that I had gotten my point across to the students because they shrugged, and nodded, then smirked all around the room. But I already knew that Mr. Carter was prepared to throw me out.