Chapter Two

_-_Two_-_

        I made it through my classes in a trance, I was too confused to be focused on what was happening around me. There was a strict no cell phone policy outside of lunch so I couldn't even text Hunter back and ask him if he was serious.

It couldn't possibly be my birthday could it? Someone surely would have told me! I just spoke with my eldest sister and mother on the phone this morning for Christ's sake! How could I miss my own birthday?

When the final bell rang, I followed the hoard of other students out into the hall. Once there, I pushed through them all and made my way to my locker. I was opening my locker when it slammed back shut. There was a large, tan hand on the door, holding it shut.

I wheeled on the owner of the hand. "What the actual fuck?" I exclaimed before I realized who it was. Tanner was standing in front of me. He was dressed the same as before, except now he was carrying some football gear along with him.

 "Well hello to you too, New Girl." He said sardonically, the ghost of a smile playing around his lips. "I just came to introduce myself since we were interrupted before. My name is Tanner. Tanner Frontz."

I opened my locker and tossed my books in. "I've been here a month. Don't call me new girl." I said simply, shutting my locker and breezing past him. No matter how good looking he was, I wasn't playing this game with him. I'd seen my sisters in tears too many times to let some high school loser play love games with my heart!

He let out a throaty chuckle and strode past me confidently, coming to block my path again. "I'm sensing some hostility here." I cocked an eyebrow at him and crossed my arms. "So, how about you just tell me your name and we'll get past this communication gap."

I could tell I wasn't going to get rid of him easily. "Annabel."

"See was that so hard? I don't think so, Annabel. That's a beautiful name you have, Annabel," he said, emphasizing my name each time he used it. I tried to walk past him again and it was no use, he stepped in front of me again.

"What now?" I asked exasperated, he'd kept me in this school for what seemed like forever now! There wasn't even anyone left in the halls now, just Tanner and I. 

"Nothing," Tanner said, holding his hands up and smiling peacefully. He walked away as if I were crazy and I walked away too, face bright with indignation. Just as I was pushing the door open to go outside Tanner turned around. "Oh yeah! I'll see you at lunch tomorrow, Annabel!"

(

     \

         )

##-------->

         )

     /  

(

"Mother fucker!" I said under my breath as I looked at the row of buses out in front of the school. My bus was one of the first to leave and it was already gone. I kicked the ground angrily and found a bench to sit on.

As I sat down I took a deep breath and focused myself. When I was calm, I pulled out my phone and called my dad. The phone rang and rang but he never picked up. "Hey dad," I said after the beep. "I missed my bus so I'm going to be here for a while I guess. Can you pick me up when you're done with work? Thanks!" With a saddened sigh, I hung up.

School got out at three fifteen. Thanks to Tanner it was now three thirty and Dad wouldn't get home until around six. I could walk home, but Dad lived back in the country and he would probably make it  here before I made it home... So, what could I do for two and a half hours?