Extra: Julia

The girls gather around me just before the match is about to start. It's our first time at the state tournament, and we're the team with the least experience.

"Now, listen up, girls," I say, "the other teams are good. They're really good. So more than trying to beat them, learn from them. Watch how their team members co-ordinate. Observe anything and everything you can about them, okay? Now let's get out there!!"

I wish Lauren was here to cheer me on...but she's at the other end of the state. I called her the night before, though.

"Lauren, I'm so nervous!"

"Jules, it's going to be okay. I'm sure you'll do great!"

"I'm seriously regretting this...why did I decide to revive the basketball team?"

"Well, it helped out, didn't it?"

It did. Basketball provided an escape from the hell I call home. With my parents getting a divorce and my sister's ex roaming around, I really needed some fresh air.

The crowd cheers as we get on the court. The coach selects the first five, and the match begins.

I know we're going to win the minute I see my girls observe their opponents as much as the ball. Just playing the game and working on your own skills aren't enough.

We win the match by a close four points.

Somehow, we smash our way through the tournament, and come home victorious.

I'm now known as the captain who led the girl's basketball team to their first major victory.

"Congratulations, Jules!" Lauren cheers when I call her. "I knew you could do it!"

"Thanks," I sigh. I can't believe I actually did it.

I feel so much more relaxed now. I've achieved my biggest goal for high school, and my best friend is happy. Now, if only my family could...

Someone knocks on my room door. "Jules?" It's my sister.

"Come in," I say.

She walks in, a shy smile on her face. "Mom says the food's ready," she says.

"Good. I'm starving."

"She's made a special dish to celebrate your victory and her successful six months clean."

I'm so happy. Things are looking up.

"Also..."

When she tells me about her new boyfriend, I worry about her, but this guy seems to be a better specimen.

I bounce off my bed and go downstairs to eat. The tournament may be over, but we've got practice from Monday onwards...and a captain needs her nutrition.