Nervous

"Lauren, you've got visitors!" Dad calls from downstairs.

Opening my door, I see Julia and Kayla standing in front of me, holding two huge bags.

"What are those?" I point to the bags.

"Our dresses and make up," Jules says. "Much as I live for sports, it's fun to dress up once in a while."

"B-but why do you need so much?" I ask nervously.

"There's stuff for you as well," Kayla explains. "Did you really think we'd let you meet him in just that dress? It's very pretty, but we want you to impress him!"

I sigh. There's no arguing with these two. "Come on in."

It's been two hours, and they're still not done with their outfit and make-up.

"What's taking you so long?"

"Kayla's hair is being stubborn," Jules grumbles from the other end of the room.

"Hey! It's not that bad!" Kayla squeals.

While they get ready, we spend time talking. "D-do you two have dates?" I ask.

"I don't," Jules says. "But there are some fine boys who I know don't either, so I'll probably have one by the end of the dance."

"Me too," Kayla chirps. "But I thought that this year I'd enjoy the food." She laughs.

After another half an hour, it's my turn. "Wear this." Jules shoves my dress and me into the bathroom.

When I walk out, the girls drag me to a chair. "Now, Lauren, whatever you do, don't move," Kayla says. "This is a complicated technique, so it needs much more concentration."

But she's done with everything in ten minutes. "Did you even do anything?" Jules wonders aloud, walking over to us.

"...yup, she has."

The girls giggle. "Um...is that a good or a bad thing?" I ask.

"Don't worry," Jules says. "Just don't look at your reflection until you meet him, okay?"

Now I'm really scared. They're not telling me anything. I think they know who the secret admirer is.

* * * *

I manage to convince my parents to not take any embarassing photos of me or James, and we're able to leave home in record time.

In the car, James and I make small talk. He doesn't know about the secret admirer, fortunately, and I'm not telling him anything until this meeting is done.

"Lauren, I have a question."

Oh no. Here it comes.

"You've never shown any interest in school dances all these years, what happened now?"

"Um...I-I-"

"Is it a guy?"

I nod.

"Do I know him?"

I shrug my shoulders.

"...I see. I hope you know what you're getting into."

* * * *

When I get there, I try not to be noticed, but it doesn't happen...again.

People stare as I walk past. They whisper to their friends about me. Eyes go wide, mouths open.

The only people who look at me normally are Vince and Max. "Looking good, Lauren!" Vince says cheerfully.

"T-thanks." It's 9 P.M, the dance is about to begin.

"Welcome to the annual spring dance!" Kayla is the M.C. for tonight. "I hope you're ready for food and fun!"

Everyone cheers. "But, before we begin, we have the traditional inaugral dance. As you know, a random boy's and a random girl's names will be selected from these boxes." Kayla indicates two boxes to her left. "The couple will then lead the dance for about half an hour.

"Right, let's get started!"

Kayla pulls out a slip of paper from the first box. "The boy who will lead the dance is..."

Max's name is called. Everyone claps. Do they still not believe he's left the basketball team? Come to think of it, I don't know why he left. I should ask him one day.

I hear my name.

What?

"Lauren, come up on stage!" Kayla says.

Everyone claps again.

I nervously make my way up to the stage. Music starts playing.

"What do I do?" I ask Max nervously. "I've never danced before."

"Just follow my lead," he says calmly, and smiles.

I do as he says, and pretty soon, I'm no longer nervous.

Max and I lead the dance; he shows me the steps and I follow him. After that's over, I dance with Vince, who drags me to the food tables right after. I even dance with James for a bit, but not before noticing the glances he gives in a certain direction. "Good luck," I tell him, leaving behind a red-faced and stammering brother.

At one point I'm so happy that I forget everything else. I forget about the girl who's lonely and afraid, and instead become a girl I always wanted to be.

* * * *

It's nearly eleven. I should get going. I tell Max that I'm going for some fresh air. "Would you like me to come with you?" He asks politely.

Normally, I'd say no, but I find that I actually want some company, atleast until I get to the hidden tree.

As we walk, Max asks me,"Are you going to...uh...meet the guy you were talking about?"

I nod. "Good luck," he says cheerfully.

As we get closer, I wonder who I'll meet.

A though comes into my head: what if it's Cal?

Oh, God, no. Please not him.

We're getting closer, but there's nobody there. I hear rustling in the trees, confirming my worst fears. I know that Cal likes to spend time on tree branches.

It must be him; how else would the note make it to my window?

"Lauren, do you want me to wait?" Max asks.

"No, it's okay." I turn away so that he won't see the tears streaming down my cheeks. The rustling continues.

"Lauren," I hear him say. "I hope all the secrets will unfold now."

Wait a minute...

Oh...

Oh...

Oh...

I turn around.

There Max stands, a single tear leaving his eyes, a gentle smile on his lips.

I'm just going to leave this here...