Birthday

"Happy birthday, Lauren!!"

Jules brings in a huge cake with seventeen candles and sets it on the table.

"Make a wish!" Everyone says.

I close my eyes. What do I wish for?

And then I know what my wish should be.

I want to meet my secret admirer.

"Oh wow!" Kayla squeals. "Lauren, you blew out all seventeen candles at once!"

I open my eyes and look. She's right, everything's gone. I smile, feeling a sense of security.

"Time for presents!!" Kayla says excitedly. She passes a large bag to me. "Open it, open it!"

Kayla's gifted me this seriously sexy black dress. Where and when will I wear it?

Jules gives me a pair of sneakers. "I'm gonna get you to play sports, like it or not!"

Some of Kayla's and Julia's friends have made this massive card, with all of their names on it.

"Where do I keep this? There's no place on my wall!" I tell Kayla.

"Leave it to me," Kayla says with a grin. "Next!"

Vince isn't here, but he, Max, and a bunch of my brother's friends pooled in to get me art supplies.

I smile shyly. Everyone didn't have to, but they're doing all this for me.

"It's cause we like you," Jules says, as though reading my mind. "Ignore them bitches, you're a great girl."

I nod, but I'm still nervous about seeing Daisy again.

As if by magic, Max pops up next to me and says, "Don't worry about Daisy, I'll deal with her. Till then, enjoy yourself, okay?"

I listen to Max, and try my best to enjoy. It actually works.

For the first time in ages, I go to bed feeling happy.

*  *  *  *

"We're going to the nationals!" James cheers.

The entire monkey gang has settled themselves in the living room and they. Are. Being. Loud. And. Annoying.

Okay, so I get that they won the state tournament, and that James and Vince are among the team selected for the nationals, but do they have to irritate the rest of us?

I sigh. They're impossible.

I slam the door shut and try to read my book. I have a test tomorrow that counts for the final grade, and I cannot afford to mess it up. Luckily, the door muffles the noise.

Of course, within ten minutes I get distracted by the note I received this morning.

Dear Lauren,

The spring dance is coming soon; are you excited? I sure am!

Hey, maybe we could meet up during or after the dance! What do you say?

Think about it, we've got a month. Let me know later, okay?

Love,
Your Secret Admirer.

Woah, are we seriously going to meet? After a year and a half of exchanging notes, is my wish going to come true?

* * * *

With only a month left for the dance, the entire school is going crazy. Almost everyone wants a date.

The younger students hover around us older students, desperately seeking attention. The ones who've been here more than a year mostly decide to go with their friends. Most of the seniors who have "unrequited love" are making plans to confess to the ones they like during the dance.

And me?

I'm debating whether I want to meet my secret admirer or not. This feeling of a silent supporter is really great, but I'd like to know who's been there for me for so long; who would love someone like me.

No matter what my friends say, Daisy's words have left some kind of scar in my heart...just like what had happened that day...all those months ago...a memory I thought I'd managed to forget...

* * * *

It was my first high school party. I was fifteen years old, and I'd convinced myself that it was high time I stepped out of my shell.

So, I decided to attend the first party that came my way. Back then, I didn't know much about Daisy and Kayla, just that they were popular.

I made the mistake of attending a party thrown by Daisy's boyfriend. I was so scared, but I convinced myself to stay for an hour before going back home. That plan worked out perfectly...until I was just about to leave.

"Where are you going?" A voice said.

I turned around; it was Cal, Daisy's boyfriend.

"Oh, um, I was just leaving..."

"Now, that's quite rude of you," Cal said, smirking. "Hmm...I know you, don't I? You're that girl who doesn't speak to anyone."

"I-I-"

"Huh, who invited you anyway? Not me or Daisy, that's for sure."

"B-but you said anyone could attend-"

"Yes, I suppose I did," Cal mused. "Of course, I didn't know that would include a silent freak like you."

"I'm not a freak!" I screamed.

The entire room went silent.

I gasped. I didn't realize that I'd been so loud.

I let out a sob, and ran out of the front door.

I dialled my dad's number. "D-daddy?" I sobbed.

"What's wrong, Lauren?"

"C-can you pick me up? I-I'm at-" I gave him the address, and he was there in five minutes.

I'm a complete daddy's girl, so I told him everything.

The last thing I remember before the accident was Dad's hands clenching the steering wheel so tight, I thought it would break.