Chapter 6

Minseok's fist flies out and Tao barely has time to duck. In a second, Taemin is on top of him, pinning him down. Tao struggles underneath him as he tries to get free. Taemin smirks from above.

"I've got you, angel boy..." Taemin says with a devilish smile.

Tao can sense Kris's presence but notices that the head devil isn't doing anything. That's when he realizes it. Kris wants him to defend himself.

But I don't know how to get out of this position, Tao thinks.

He can hear Kris's voice in the back of his mind, calm but firm, instructing him. His mind reels in the back of his head as he tries to think of what Kris did to him.

In a flash, Tao has switched positions and he's now on top of Taemin. A moment later, Tao is knocked to the ground by Minseok. Tao quickly gets up and standing in a defense position, ready to attack. His leg flies out, catching Minseok by surprise, but Taemin is up and pushing Tao to the ground.

That's when he attacks, a loud growl erupting from his throat. Large black wings unfurl from his back as bursts of fire shoot out from his hands.

Tao glances up to see Kris standing in front of him, his back to him, protecting him.

"Stay away from him," Kris growls, his voice threateningly low, his hands in fists by his sides.

"Welcome back Kris," is all Taemin says before walking off with Minseok following.

Tao watches Kris's aura pulse with rage before shooting an arrow of fire at Taemin's retreating back. He falls forwards to the ground, collapsing but Kris is no longer looking at them, he's focused on Tao.

Kris's thumb brushes against Tao's forehead, cheeks, lips, chin...

"Are you okay?" Kris asks softly.

"Why didn't you help me?" Tao asks.

"You needed to defend yourself on your own... I'm not always going to be there to protect you," Kris says, his voice hard.

Tao flinches slightly. "I know."

Kris sighs, his voice softening. "Don't worry... I'll keep an eye on you."

"Only because you told Luhan you would," Tao snaps.

Kris flinches before quickly recovering. "No. That's not why. I mean... He did tell me to... But I care for you Tao. Why else do you think I would always be there to protect you?"

"Because Luhan told you," Tao says simply, his voice flat.

Kris rolls his eyes. "Well I'm doing it for you, okay? Luhan aside, I'm doing it for you."

Tao looks up at him, eyes wide. "Really..?"

Kris nods, smiling softly. "Yeah... C'mon... I'll take you back."

And with that, he slides his arms under Tao's body, lifting him up and carrying him back to Kris's house.

~

"I'm sorry, I can't, okay?" Sehun shouts, backing away from a startled Luhan.

"Sehun--" Luhan calls but is cut short as the door slams shut behind Sehun.

Sehun runs into his new living quarters with Luhan. He knows he should have been nicer but sometimes he just can't help it and can't control himself. He doesn't understand why Luhan is being kind to him. He hates the looks that the other angels give him when he walks around, even if he is with Luhan.

Sehun sprints up the stairs and into his new room. He almost collapses on his bed but falls onto the ground when he notices something new on his bed. Clothes.

His mouth opens as he takes in the new clothing. He slides his fingers over the silky soft fabric, not failing to notice that the clothes are white. Like what angels wear. Angels...

There's a soft knock at the door. Sehun is too stunned by the clothes to answer the door.

Luhan lets himself in. He stands in the doorway, looking at a startled, confused Sehun sitting on the ground.

"I... I know how much it bothered you to stand out," Luhan says quietly. "So I thought... You might want to wear these so you won't stand out as much..."

Sehun doesn't answer.

Luhan nods. "I'll leave you..."

He closes the door on his way out but a moment later, Sehun is throwing the door open and throwing himself into Luhan's arms before he had the chance to fully close the door. Luhan's arms go around Sehun, holding him close.

"Thank you," Sehun murmurs, breathing in Luhan's familiar scent. "I'm sorry I got mad earlier..."

"I know it must be overwhelming... Don't worry about it," Luhan murmurs.

"Thank you..." Sehun breathes, holding Luhan tight.

Luhan smiles into Sehun's hair. "Of course..."