Perfect Christmas

Start from the beginning

    "I wish we didn't come here in the first place," he murmurs.

    I shrug. "It's a group vacation. We couldn't really say no."

    It's true. Two weeks ago Cara has decided that the entire gang should have a Christmas getaway since we haven't really spent time with each other for quite some time now.

       It's not like we wanted to avoid each other. Life just got in the way. Daniel and Alex were too busy preparing for their wedding which is going to happen next June; Brent and Evans were in their honeymoon phase of their marriage; Kayden and I were really wrapped up in our own world ever since we got back together. We've been trying to figure things out. It hasn't been very easy—our relationship had a lot of work to do—but after a while, we learnt to compromise and deal with problems instead of running away from them, and now we're happy.

    And we wouldn't have it any other way.

    But we've been so consumed with each other that I didn't realize that we've been drifting apart from our friends. So in a last ditch effort to save our friendship, Cara basically forced everyone to Colorado, where we'll be spending the entire Christmas week together.

    So far that's failing. Because Kayden couldn't get his shit together, Brent, Evans, Alex and Daniel are miles ahead of us. At least we're not the slowest though. Cara is still stuck behind us, learning the basics from an instructor and Simon has no choice but to babysit her. The only reason why Kayden isn't in that class with her is because he begged me not sign him up. He says that his ego will be severely wounded if I do so.

    But I'm running out of patience. If we're not going down this slope any second, I'm abandoning him.

    It's survival of the fittest, baby. And Kayden ain't gonna be one of them.

    "Are you ready?" I ask him and he nods wordlessly.

    "I'll try."

    "Please don't die." I shake my head. "I'm not really in the mood to drag your ugly ass corpse in the snow."

    He chuckles. "I'll try not to. But no promises, Lucky."

    "Okay," I say, leaning forward, my poles thrust behind me. "Go!"

    And then we're off.

    The breeze rush through my hair, sending it into a complete frenzy. The cool air slaps my cheeks but I don't care. I'm flying, falling, veering left and right—the wonderful sensation causing a laugh to escape from me. I feel as if I could leap up and fly away just like an eagle taking off. It's a surreal feeling to get lost in and I let it take over me, allowing the breeze to carry me away.

    I turn to my left and see Kayden. He looks like he's struggling a little, but nothing that he can't handle. He catches me staring at him and grins, dimples showing, causing my heart to leap out of my throat. The smile wavers a little due to his lack of confidence, but it doesn't matter—I find him looking much more appealing than when he's cocky. At least skiing finally put him in his place.

    When I finally tear my gaze away from him, panic immediately seizes my chest as I see a pine tree looming nearby. I turn to Kayden and yell, "tree! In front of you!"

    Kayden's eyes widen and I see the fear that hits his face. He tries to avoid the tree by turning to the side, but he loses balance and ends up falling to the side, face-first into the snow. I scream for him as he topples over, his body limp as he rolls all the way down to the foot of the slope. When I'm finally down, I immediately ditch my poles and my ski boots, then sprint towards him.