chapter two

NIALLS POV

We packed up our bags, and left for our first lesson. Liam quickly scurried across the class, pulling my wrist so i didn't get left behind, trying to work his way through the hoard of people trying to escape the room. Lots of people were not moving for him to get through, and suddenly somebody pushed him onto the floor. I quickly ran over to help him up, and realised it was Max who pushed him to the ground.

''What are you gonna do, faggot!'' Max spat angrily at me. When i say spat, i actually mean spat. It was like he had an extreme lisp or something, as he had my face covered, in his nasty saliva.

''I-I-I was just going t-to help h-him up...'' I replied as calmly as i could, as he was beginning to irritate me. I don't know why i'm saying it as if i would do anything to him, i never would. I guess its because im too weak, and i'm not that sort of person, and can't stand seeing people get hurt.

''Well don't. He doesn't deserve help. From anybody!'' He shouted at me, gaining the whole class' attention. It annoyed me that nobody tried to stick up for us, not even one.

''He's pathetic, you know that! Actually, your both pathetic.'' He snapped, and suddenly kicked liam in the stomach, and punched me in the face, when i tried to help liam, resulting in me flailing to the floor, because im weak and pathetic, just like Max said. He then left the room, laughing, with the rest of the class trailing behind him.

He pissed me off so much. How could anybody be so mean to Liam. He'd never done anything wrong to anybody, well, he hadn't done anything wrong in the last minutes twenty of me knowing him.

All of a sudden, i felt two big warm hands cup my cheeks. I opened my eyes, and forced away the visible pain on my face, once i saw it was Liam who was holding my face.

''Are you okay? You look bad, that punch busted your lip!'' He told me, whilst still holding my face in his soft gentle hands. This felt nice. The feeling i had from Liam holding me, and the feeling of somebody actually caring about me. He made me feel wanted, and cared about.

''Yeah, im fine thank you...'' I told him, but i then started to taste the warm, familiar, taste of my blood. He soon realised that i was bleeding, as he gently stroked away the bead of blood, that was making its way down my chin. I smiled at him, and said a simple 'thank you' again.

''Are you sure your okay, i can take you to the nurses office if you like?'' He asked me. I didnt want a fuss to be made of me, and have people notice me, so i simply shook my head, while Liam gave me a dissaproving, yet happy smile.

''It's getting worse Niall, let the nurse clean it up for you, and then it should be okay?'' Liam pleaded, and finally i gave in, and gave a small nod in his direction, and said 'okay'. He then got up, and held out his hand for me to take. I held on, and lunged myself up landing on Liam, whilst still holding his hand.

He gave an awkward smile and let go of my hand, as he finally realised how long we had been standing so close, and the fact that we were still holding hands.

He started to lead me somewhere, when i noticed how he was holding his rib, and limping. 'Omg', i thought. I completely forgot that Liam was kicked so badly!

''Omg, Liam! Are you okay, i forgot to ask, i mean i-'' I was cut off by Liams light chuckles to himself. He slowly turned around and stopped me in my tracks.

''Im fine Niall, i'm used to it...'' He told me, starting with a smile, and finishing with a sad look on his face. I just nodded, and continued walking behind him, as he started again.

We walked in a silence for a while, when i asked him ''Why do you put up with it?'' He seemed shocked by me saying this, and tried to start talking, but stopped, as i could see that he was getting upset.

''People call me fag, queer, homo. They say im ugly. They laugh because i have no friends. They-'' he tried to finish, but i cut him off.

''Why would they call you that?'' i asked simply. I really didn't understand why they called him these names, seeing as he was manly, and had a very deep manly voice, and by any means, was definately not ugly.

''Because... Because, they are stating facts, Niall... The nurses office is at the end of this corridor, go without

me. I'll probably never speak to you ever agin now-'' Again i cut him off.

''Why would you never speak to me again?!'' I asked, completely confused, and worried as to why i would never get to speak to him again. He probably just realised how uncool, and stupid i am as a person.

''Because i just told you i'm gay? Everybody thinks it's disgusting and not natural, people call me 'loner boy' and 'Liam no mates' '' He stated, with a pool of tears gathering at the bottom of his eyes.

LIAMS POV

I didn't understand how he didn't get it. I was gay. I got bullied. I had no friends.

''I couldnt care less if you was gay or not? I respect you for who you are, and you seem really nice to me!'' Niall reasured me. I could feel a smile growing on my face. He said i seemed nice! Omg, eeep!

''Now come on, mate. Lets get try to get to the nurses office before christmas shall we!'' I Chuckled at Nialls joke, and started to continue our way to the office.

''Why are you doing this? Like helping me?'' I asked him, but less serious than the last time i asked.

''Anything for a friend...'' Niall chirped back. Him saying this, gave me butterflies, and i started to worry about what this meant. I knew that he would make a good friend, and luckily enough, i hopefully got the privilage to find out, but thats if he was being serious or not.

''For real? Like are we friends now then?'' I asked hopefully.

''Yeah, we're friends'' Niall replied, with a smile. I couldnt help the smile that now took over my face, because of what he said.

A friend. I liked the idea of this.