Captivation Part 48

Start from the beginning

Jared nodded, then he gestured to his home. "Look, come in. It's warmer inside than standing and having this conversation on the doorstep."

Caitlin once again looked down the drive. He'd actually just driven away. That did not strike her as something he would do unless he felt comfortable doing it, and if he was convinced she would be safe. She trusted her father's gut instinct. But still it was quite a shock. He'd just left her here!

"Please. Caitlin. Come in. We need to talk." Jared said quietly.

Caitlin exhaled slowly. Then she nodded. "Ok. But I'm calling a taxi!"

"I'll drive you home. After we talk." He told her and closed the door behind her when she stepped into the hallway. Then he gestured toward his landline phone, "And call your father."

"What?" Why?"

Jared knew that Caitlin's father might trust him but he was not going to leave his daughter with no options. "Because I imagine he is probably going to sit in his car out in the cold night air, ..."

"What?"

"Caitlin, your father is not gong to abandon you here, is he?" Jared asked with a rueful smile. Jared figured that Jacinto was probably going to give Jared five minutes to present his case, and then Jared figured Jacinto would be back to collect his daughter.

Caitlin knew Jared was right. Her father would not abandon her. "True." But instead of heading for his phone, she reached for her mobile in her handbag. "I'll call him."

"Come through once you're done." Jared told her, and gestured to a room just down the corridor.

Caitlin nodded and then pressed a button on speed dial. "Dad!" He heard her say when the call was answered at the other end. "Yes. I'm fine! You on the other hand, you are in big trouble when I see you!" Jared smiled as he listened in from the other room. With the study door open it was easy to overhear her side of the conversation. "Yes. So he said." Caitlin huffed and Jared could just imagine the ire in her eyes. "I can't believe you brought me here!" She huffed again. "Yes. That's why I'm calling. Jared said he'll drive me home." She looked toward the open door, knowing that Jared was probably over hearing the conversation. "Yes. I do." That was in response to her father asking her if she trusted him to keep his word. She sighed. "Go home dad. I'll speak to you in the morning!"

Jared thought that sounded more like a threat!

A few seconds later Caitlin stepped into Jared's study. "He said he was going to give you ten minutes! Before he rang your door bell!"

Jared smiled. Ten minutes. That was longer than he had anticipated. Jared got to his feet. She looked nervous. He knew he was nervous! So much hinged on what happened here this night. He knew that talking, honestly, was the key.

Now that she was here she wasn't sure what she was meant to say or do. "I told Dad you'd call me a taxi! I also told him to go home. He'll freeze sitting out there. And I doubt you want him listening in to our conversation which is what would happen if you asked him to come here now!" Now she figured Jared ought to take the lead.

"Can I take your jacket? Get you something to drink?" Jared asked. He was pleased she trusted him enough to send her father home!

"Tea?" She asked. She could probably do with something stronger. Caitlin shrugged off her jacket and smoothed her clammy hands down the sides of her dress. She felt a bit over dressed, given as she was still wearing what she'd worn to the Easter dance. "Yes. Tea would be nice."

Jared gestured toward the door and waited for her to exit before him. They walked side by side down the large hallway. They walked passed several doors before he palmed open a door and it revealed a large kitchen. He held the door open and waited for her to enter the room.