~6~

Chapter 6

Maya sat outside from all her friends, annoyed with them.

She appreciates the fact that they all care about her, but she's fine. Not really, but they can't find out.

"Maya come on." Lucas said and sat down by her. Maya rolled her eyes at the cowboy.

"I'm fine hopalong." she lied.

She didn't know what was worse, the lies she's telling or all the pain from the aftershock.

"No you're not. Is it your mom?" he asked concerned. Lucas really did care about Maya, but she refused to believe that. He wanted to help her, he liked her.

Maya refused to believe any of that no matter how many people tell her, she thinks it's a lie. No one liked her, no one cares, and she's fine with that. She has herself. That's more then enough for her.

"No, but even if it was you wouldn't understand." she snapped.

"Yes I would." he mumbled.

"How so?" Maya sassed and Lucas rolled his eyes.

"My mom was always off somewhere for work. Never cared to check in." he faced her.

Maya already felt the guilt eating her up. She shouldn't have said that.

"I'm sorry Lucas." she said, but it was more like a whisper.

"It's fine, you didn't know." he told her and she nodded, not looking up from her hands. She, instead, played with her ring that Riley had gotten her.

"Hey." Lucas said, getting Maya's attention.

"What?" she asked little mad. She wasn't mad at Lucas though, only herself.

"It's fine. Don't worry about it. I have my dad there." he smiled, a genuine smile. She nodded.

"Must feel nice." she mumbled.

"I have an idea." he said and Maya's lips formed a little smirk.

"Does old Ranger Rick got another rope trick." she said and her country accent and he chuckled.

"Better. I'm going to help you. You, Riley, and Farkle helped me with all of my problems, now I'm returning the favor for you. I've already helped Riley and Farkle. Now your turn." he told her.

"How?" she asked and glared lightly at him.

"I'm going to help you through this." he said. Maya's light glare turned into a hard, cold glare.

"Thanks but I don't need help from a huckleberry." she told him harshly.

"Come on Maya! You need help from someone! You refused to have Riley, Farkle, your mom, and The Matthews' help you! At least let me be there for you." he begged.

"Fine if it gets you to shut up." she said and he nodded just as Riley and Farkle came in.

"Hey guys!" Riley smiled and Lucas moved out of Riley's spot.

"Sorry we're late." Farkle apologized.

"It's fine." Lucas smiled just as Maya mumbled.

"You should be." Maya mumbled once Farkle apologized. They all looked at her in concern.

"Maya you ok?" Riley asked and Maya nodded.

"I'm fine, just a lot on my mind." she told her and Riley nodded. They all carried on with a conversation Maya didn't care about. Too much on her mind to actually listen.

Too much to handle.

Too much to hold in.

Just too much.

But Maya thinks she can figure this all out on her own.

She usually does anyways, right?

"Maya!" Riley yelled, snapping Maya out of her thoughts.

"Yeah?" Maya asked.

"You ok?" Farkle asked and Maya stood up, frustrated with her friends.

Frustrated with life.

Frustrated with herself.

"Why does everyone keep asking that!? I'm fine!" Maya snapped at all of them in frustration and left back to the Matthews' apartment through Riley's window.

-

Riley followed Maya back to her house along with Farkle and Lucas. Once they all crawled through the window Riley wanted to lose it.

She needed to know what was wrong with Maya and now.

"Maya! Talk to us! Please!" Riley begged.

Maya was in her own world.

One with dead dreams.

"No." Maya rolled her eyes.

She loves Riley to death, but she wouldn't understand.

Riley continued to blab on about how she wants to help Maya, with Farkle and Lucas pitching in every once and awhile to back her up.

But Maya's nightmares decided to take over her world for awhile.

"Maya?" Lucas asked as Maya began to panic.

What is happening in Maya's mind?

A/N: Next chapter is actually really sad. Sorry.

But thanks for reading! Please vote! :)