Chapter 48 - Violence Repeated

Start from the beginning

Lauren's eyes went wide at that as she exited out of the calling app and pulled up the news screen and sure enough there it was in big red letter. 'Assassination Attempt Made on the President of the United States.' Lauren felt as though her heart had jumped up into her chest, as her grip on the PET loosened until the whole thing fell to the floor and she slunk down to the floor. The fear she felt rising in her wasn't something that she had the words to describe, but it was the knowledge that she had about both the Chain and the US Government that frightened her so much. Both sides were already close to tearing into the other's throats as it was, but now with all the tensions in the world with Skorge's Rebellion leading to the Uprisings all across the world, they were finally coming to a head.

She'd read about how things had been 95 years ago, the chaotic violence that'd been done by just the humans alone was scary enough. But having met Typhon herself and knowing just what kind of person he was, along with Skorge who was the inspiration for all these hostile acts of demons she had no doubt that both sides would resort to those horrible acts of violence again. They'd already started, she thought to herself as Crystal got down and tried talking to Lauren but the other girl might as well have been talking to a corpse just then. Demons were being rounded up and fired on without much warning at all, and if Faye Williams had just been attacked... Lauren had no doubt that she was about to live through what could possibly be the beginnings of the fourth world war.

"Damn it chick I'm sorry but-" Smack! "Snap out of it!" Crystal screamed making Lauren's face snap to the side and pulling her back to the situation at hand. She looked back at the other girl standing before her with a solid grip on her shoulders just as several shouts were sounding in the hallway and in the floors above them. "Come on get up this isn't a safe place to be right now!"

Lauren was getting up to her feet with Crystal's help just as all three of them heard the sounds of several boys letting out loud whoops followed by what sounded like a stampede coming down the stairs. Lauren's throat closed on her just then when she realized what it was Crystal was getting at. The tensions between humans and demons had gotten so high that an assassination attempt happening while Faye was making an announcement about the Chain was just the spark needed to kick off a full scale riot.

And Roy's still out there! She remembered grabbing Crystal by the shoulders. "I need a car right now!"

All three girls' heads snapped up when the whooping boys finally rounded the corner of the stairs. Crystal saw them and she didn't even think before she tackled both Lauren and her girlfriend into a cramped broom closet just moments before the whooping passed by them. Lauren was getting up when Crystal covered her mouth with her hand before gesturing for them both to be quiet. Having heard about what kind of terrible things can happen during a chaotic time like the possible riots that might be starting Lauren knew better than to object to what the other girl had just done. If those boys saw them...Lauren didn't even want to think about what could have happened since she knew the police were about to be stretched even thinner than they already were.

Crystal put her ear to the door listening for anyone that might've decided to stick around, and after what felt like forever she pulled away and slowly opened up the door to an uncomfortably silent building. She turned her head in both directions before she stepped out of the closet and into the hallway as timid as a spooked deer. After a moment she waved for the two of them to follow, and together the three of them hurried outside just as the sound of not just a few but what sounded like dozens maybe even hundreds of gunshots filled the air. Crystal's girlfriend let out a shriek and the three of them got down low again expecting some of the bullets to be coming at them.

When nothing happened Lauren held her hand out to Crystal who looked confused by the gesture. "Give me the keys and you go some place else to hide." Lauren said with a determined look on her face. "There's no need for you to be out here, you two take care of yourselves and get someplace safe. I have to-"