Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"So, how did it go?" Robin questioned, walking into the room.

I swear, I could have killed him right then and there for interrupting Harry. Why couldn't he have waited about half a minute to come in?!

Mum and Anne looked at each other. "I guess, the past is the past, right?" Anne asked.

Mum nodded. "Yeah, we were both teenagers back then, we didn't know any better," she agreed.

"So, let's go back to being friends?" Anne smiled.

Mum hesitated for a moment. "Let's... try."

Anne nodded. "Just promise me that you'll stay away from Robin," she winked.

Mum chuckled slightly. "Of course, as long as you stay away from Mark."

"Of course."

"Well, looks like you did it guys," Robin smiled at both Harry and me.

Harry still had that hurt look on his face, and his mouth was ajar since he'd been about to say something before he was interrupted by Robin.

All I wanted was to apologise to him for what I'd thought of him. I didn't think Harry was that jerk and slut I had thought he was anymore. Sure, he'd told me that he couldn't be seen with me because I was an outcast, and sure, it had hurt, but now it didn't seem as though he had meant what he said.

Mark walked into the room with my sisters behind him. "You done fighting?"

Anne nodded. "Yes, we just treated each other like shit back in high school when we were supposed to be best friends."

"Well, I'm just happy you can talk to each other without wanting to spit on the other," he chuckled.

We were all soon gathered around the kitchen table and eating dinner. The hurt look on Harry's face had now turned into a frown, and I could literally kill to know what he was thinking about right now.

Was he mad at me? I definitely didn't hope so. I wasn't sure if I could handle that. Him being mad at me, I mean. He meant so much to me, even though he didn't know it himself. Each word he said would affect me. If he told me I was ugly, then I'd think I was. If he told me I was disgusting, I'd think I was indeed disgusting. All this was because I loved him. Unfortunately though, he was the straightest guy on earth, so he would never love me back.

He was worthy of being loved, I had changed my mind. Every human being was worthy of being loved, even the worst ones, and Harry wasn't even one of them. He was quite far from it actually. I knew there was something inside him that was worth loving. Sure, he might seem like a bad guy at school, but outside of it, he was really nice, even to a gay boy like me.

"So, how come Harry's surname is Styles when yours is Cox?" mum asked.

Anne suddenly tensed. "Actually, my name is Anne Twist, not Cox. Robin and I got married two weeks ago," she said.

"Oh, congratulations," mum smiled.

"Thank you," Anne said, returning the smile.

"So?"

Anne took a deep breath. "Eh, Des agreed to let me have the custody of the children if I agreed to let them have his surname. I couldn't do anything but to follow his orders, because I couldn't have him around my children, I just couldn't." She had tears in her eyes when she stopped talking.

Mum gasped. "You've got to be kidding me! How could he, that son of a--"

"Mum!" I cut her off. "What's wrong with the name 'Styles'? So what if Des isn't the nicest person in the world, the name is still great, and wouldn't it be fair if his kids had some kind of connection to their dad?"