Chapter 47

"Save Me"

She sat on the bed and sighed. Her hands were on her knees as she caressed her legs. When she turned her head to see the door close, she saw him standing and looking at her with a tender smile. "I will be here, dont worry... you need to rest... "

He pulled a chair near her and sat there watching her. She laid on the bed not breaking their eye contact. "Go ahead... sleep a little... "

"I am not tired, although I think I should be... I just... feel drained..."

He nodded and she sighed again, closing her eyes trying to have some sleep. Under the darkness and silence she focused on her own breathing and the almost undetectable heartbeat of Amra. There was so much to digest yet, and the more she thought about what she had forgotten the more frustrated she would get. She opened her eyes again and looked back at him, he had not moved an inch and was still staring at her. She felt goosebumps on her skin and blushed. "Everything ok?"

She nodded and closed back her eyes. She heard him get up and felt him sitting next to her, causing her to open her eyes wide. "What is wrong? tell me what worries you... I feel helpless like this... not knowing how I can help you."

She sat on the bed; having him so close to her, just at her knees and a breath away, made her unease. "I just feel strange... "

"What do you want me to do?"

"Can you... lay next me?"

He smiled and kicked his shoes off, crawling to her side and resting his head on his arm as he watched her slide back down onto the sheets. She smiled and closed her eyes again, this time she felt herself slowly drifting to sleep.

In her dreams, she saw a young girl pouting as she watched her cake melt. Another girl was laughing and several more joining her, but only one walked to her and hugged her saying "we will just have to eat it fast, and get a new one tomorrow". As easy as that, her pout became a smile and both girls started to eat the cake and watch all the other girls look in surprise.

She opened her eyes and rubbed them as she grew accustomed to the dim light of the moon and stars through the window. When she turned her head to the side of the bed, she saw Amra resting with his eyes closed. She frowned a bit and slowly sat on the bed; there was something, her instinct maybe, telling her that he was just pretending.

"Why am I not convinced that you are sleeping at all?"

He chuckled and opened his eyes to look at her. She blushed immediately. "I am just resting, but you are right, I do not sleep."

"Oh... did I interrupted you? I am sorry... I am being inconsiderate with you..." She sighed "I really thought you were just pretending to be asleep..."

He shook his head and sat next to her, slightly turned to the side so he could face her. He took her hands in his and gently massaged them as he spoke. "I know it is hard for you to understand a lot of what is happening around you, even if you are trying to get it all in your system, don't... it will overwhelm you... you tried that once and it was too much for you, you almost had a breakdown. But do not worry about me... the only way for me to be harmed is by hurting you... and by all means I invite anyone to try... I am prepared to banish anything and anyone who wants to attempt such thing."

"So... we really are married..."

He closed his eyes and chuckled, then nodded and opened his eyes again giving her a smile.

"It must be difficult for you to see me like this... unable to recognize you..."

"It is hard, I miss many things... but the fact that you feel you can trust me, which allows me to be close to you and keep you safe... that is all I need for now."