Frenemies (Part 4)

Jamie dropped him. "What?"

"Julie and I connected." Rory nodded his head from the floor again. "You see why I can't stay away, even though I should." He ran his hand through his hair. His eyes were wide, and there were dark circles under them.

"What does that mean?" Julie asked.

Jamie went over to his sister and put an arm around her. He rubbed her outer arm. A comforting warmth spread from her arm over her body, and she relaxed against his solid protection.

"Yeah, Rory, what does having the connection with her mean?"

"I don't know." His eyes locked on Julie like a starving man.

"Isn't anyone going to tell me anything ever?" She stomped her foot.

They ignored her. Their eyes focused on each other.

"So, you have been seeing my sister on the side. All while dating Melissande? You can't have it both ways, Rory. It looks like you already made a choice. You stuck with Melissande."

Then Jamie surprised her by laughing. Rory looked startled. "Oh, this is fate. I mean, you of all people, connecting with my sister. With your mom and everything."

"Jamie, this isn't funny," Julie said.

He looked down at her. "I know it isn't. It's ridiculous. Julie, I know it hurts now, but I promise it will get better. You can get over this bastard. It will just take time."

"You promise?" she whispered with hope.

"Yes." Jamie hugged her close.

"But—" Rory started.

"But what? If you wanted Julie, you would have told someone. Did you? Or were you thinking that you could somehow keep your family happy and marry Melissande and keep my sister on the side? She deserves more than that."

"Thanks, Jamie. I think I can tell him that myself."

Jamie looked between her and Rory. "See? She's my sister. She won't put up with it."

"Julie," Rory started again. "Julie, I don't want to let you go."

She didn't know if she was strong enough to say no. She couldn't deal with him standing there in front of her, looking at her like that.

"It isn't your choice anymore. You need to leave now. If I wake my parents, everyone will know. Are you ready for that? Because if you are, let's do it. Are you ready to face your parents?" Jamie asked.

Rory shook his head and turned to go. Jamie called out to him as he walked out the door.

"Yeah, I didn't think so. I pegged you from the beginning. All show and no substance. I can't believe that you are willing to give this up." Jamie squeezed his sister's shoulders. "Most people would kill for what you have with her, and you're going to throw it away. All for what? Julie is worth it."

Rory slipped out the window.

Julie turned around and cried on his shoulder. It felt good having her brother there.

"Come on. I will sit in here with you. I don't think he'll be coming back or bothering you again."

Jamie stayed with her, awkwardly rubbing her back, letting her know he was there for her. He stayed with her until she fell asleep. Then he curled up in her chair on the other side of the room. He wasn't leaving her alone tonight.

She was tired but felt more relaxed than she should. She watched Jamie as she fell asleep. This calm seemed like a layer over her feelings. It felt unreal. Was he calming her somehow? For once, she didn't dream of anything.