Frenemies (Part 2)

She walked stiffly back to Ariel's store. Her hands gripped the bag and coffee, but they were numb. Her stomach roiled in humiliation, conflicting with the tingling she got from being around Rory. Her body screamed at her to go back and sit with Rory, to kiss him. She shook her head. She was like an addict, wanting the high of being around him so bad that there wasn't a thought to the pain it would cause.

Maybe this was all some kind of stupid joke and Rory would come running after her to explain everything. She shook her head again. That didn't make sense. She shouldn't try to make excuses for him, so she could justify wanting to see him again.

What was there to explain? He had a girlfriend. He had cheated with her. It was over. If she made excuses for him, it would only make it worse.

Julie kept walking forward, her steps getting easier with each moment. She could get over this. She would not turn around and demand what was going on. She would not see him again.

"What's wrong?" Andromeda asked as she walked in the door. "Are you sick? You look so pale."

Julie nodded. She didn't trust herself to speak yet.

Just a few minutes ago she was hungry. Now she wasn't sure she ever wanted to eat again. She was so tempted to shut off her concentration and let these memories drift away. She started shaking.

"Oh no. We'd better go. Here, let's leave all that here for Ariel." She tugged the bag and drinks out of Julie's numb fingers. "Come on, let me get you home and in bed."

She should tell her to stay, but she wanted her mom. Even if she was lying to her, she wouldn't hurt her as bad as this.

I wish I could tell her what's going on.

Andromeda took her home and tucked her in bed, sitting with her and brushing her hair back from her face until she wanted to go to sleep. As soon as she left, she curled into a ball and cried. Her body ached at the thought of Rory. She still wanted him.

But she hated him. What had he done to her? She had to stay away from him. This would wear off. It had to wear off.

Much later that afternoon, she fell asleep. Something woke her in the middle of the night. She turned on her lamp and rubbed the crust out of her swollen eyes.

On her desk was a purple flower, a note tucked underneath.

Had he come in her room while she was sleeping?

Julie shivered. Even with Rory, that was creepy. Especially now. She got up and tore the flower to shreds. She picked up the letter, intending to tear it up also. Her fingers shook as she held it to rip it in half.

She couldn't help herself. She had to know.

She opened up the folded paper.

Jules, I'm so sorry. Please meet me tomorrow so I can explain. I will be waiting for you at the school.

She tore up the note. Her heartbeat sped up, and her body vibrated with the thought of seeing him tomorrow. She hated herself.

He had screwed her up.

"If you can hear me, Rory, or even if you can't. I'm not yours anymore. I will never be alone with you again."

She sat down and wrote everything out in her red notebook in case her anger grew too much.

I won't forget this.