Chapter 14: Around the Island (Part 5)

Julie came down the stairs wearing a black maxi skirt and a lightweight green sweater. Her hair was brushed back into a ponytail, but she felt sticky from saltwater and sweat. All eyes went to her, and the conversation died.

Their guests all stood up. Marian and Elden seemed wary, like she was going to lash out again, and Rory wouldn't meet her eyes.

"Hey, ummm..." she said, looking at Jamie and Lir, who nodded encouragingly, "sorry about snapping at everyone earlier, but I wasn't expecting an audience when I came in the door in my swimsuit. To be honest I have a bit of a headache from being outside all day."

Marian managed a tight smile. "All is fine, dear. We understand. This is your home, and it is easier to be more relaxed here. We are sorry for intruding."

"We wanted to personally come by and say thank you for saving our son's life today. He hit his head while snorkeling along the reef. No one noticed. If you hadn't seen him..." Elden's voice caught, and he took a breath. "He should have thanked you himself, but clearly he didn't. Apparently he could use a lesson in manners."

Elden shot a questioning look at his son, but Rory kept his gaze focused on the carpet. He was about the same height as his son, but more filled out due to being older. His hair was black too but less haughty, and he looked less severe than his son. Maybe the jerkiness genes came from his mom's side.

It was quiet for a few awkward moments.

Marian looked at her son and raised her eyebrows. "Rory, are you going to say anything?"

He jumped and stopped looking at the spot on the decorative carpet below his feet.

Was he spacing out or trying to not look at her? Did all the kids space out?

"Thank you." The words were barely audible.

Everyone stood around for a few more moments, not quite looking at each other.

"I have invited the Undines to stay for dinner." Andromeda broke the silence with her chipper voice.

Julie tried not to groan. Jamie rolled his eyes, and she smiled at him. She missed the inner jokes they used to have.

Dinner was awkward. Lir and Elden filled the many moments of silence with random comments about the weather, the health of a coworker, and plans for the summer. It was the longest dinner ever.

Rory and Marian didn't say much. She obviously didn't want to be there, but he picked at his plate and looked at Julie when he thought no one else was paying attention.

If their eyes accidently met, she held her breath before breaking away.

What was wrong with her? He was cute, but he was a jerk. She never let boys get to her like this.

Finally dessert came—Andromeda went all out by heating up a cherry crumble pie, and then they all escaped to the living room.

Would the fun never end?

"So, Julie, what are your plans after you graduate?" Elden asked after a few moments of politely staring around at each other.

"To dance. I'm a dancer. I would be performing the end of year solo for my dance academy in Atlanta right now if I wasn't stuck here."

More silence.

Andromeda beamed, trying to restart the conversation. "Muriel took her on as a student. She told Julie that she was the best dancer she has ever worked with."

Elden leaned back into the couch next to Rory. He and Marian were looking at her with new interest. "That is a big compliment. I must see you dance one day."