Chapter 15: Practice Makes Perfect (Part 6)

She dug around in her bag, trying to look busy. She shuddered as she thought about him so near and wanted to run over to kiss him. She also wanted to run away as far and as fast as possible.

Running away was safer, but her body ached to walk toward him.

"I've been waiting for a while. Hours." His face looked stony, and his mouth was in a straight line.

He was obviously not used to waiting for anyone. Well, he could get over that.

"We didn't exactly make plans or anything. You kind of ran out of here in a hurry yesterday." She should run right now. She looked back at her bag, trying to break out of whatever kind of spell he had on her. "You said you would see me 'soon.' So don't act like I stood you up or something. You just got up and left yesterday."

"I had to go home. I will come when I can." Julie risked a glance at him. His face was still stiff with anger.

No apology or anything for running out after kissing her for hours. He would come when it was convenient to him.

"I wasn't sure you would be back." She looked away quickly, shocked that she wanted to tear up now.

She continued to fuss with her bag. He walked over to her and gently pulled her head around to look into his eyes. Where he touched her, pleasant ripples of warmth spread over her skin and down her back.

Julie leaned toward him. All her earlier resolve to tell him to go away was now gone. She wanted more of him. He had made her mind up for her. She couldn't run away now even if he tried to hurt her; it felt like her legs were bolted to the floor. She started to panic. She would have to remember this.

"I told you I would be back. I don't think I could stay away, even if I want to."

So he was as much under a compulsion as she was. How?

"Please stop touching me," she whispered. "I can't think straight when you do."

His face set in hard lines, and he slowly took his hand away as if it took a lot of effort. He struggled with the simple move, trying to listen to what she wanted. She felt cold when his hand left her chin, but she resisted the urge to lean against him.

"I'm sorry. I'll go. This is a mistake." He looked at the door.

"No," she said quickly. Now she couldn't help herself. "I didn't mean that. This is kind of fast for me, and I can't think when you touch me. Can we just not for a little while?"

Rory's features relaxed some, and he nodded. "Why don't you dance some? I like to watch you."

It was kind of creepy, but at least he was trying.

"Sure. Let me go change."

It was weird having someone who wasn't a dancer watch her practice. She wasn't sure why, since she was used to performing on stage.

Julie glanced at him a few times as she danced. His eyes were riveted on her. She blushed, and he smiled when he noticed. He was distracting. She almost felt like they were touching, even though he was sitting across the room on the bleachers. She felt warm all over but also a little queasy. By letting him stay, she had invited him in.

Her body ached for him, even if her mind told her to run. She would end up in his arms today. She shook off her thoughts.

Besides dancing, kissing him was the only relief she had found so far to her constant worrying. She didn't think about anything else with either activity, and it was a cool balm to the edge of terror she'd started to live with. Distracting herself with him might give her relief from whatever was going on for a few minutes, but it also created whole new problems.

She wasn't sure about him. She was sure about her dancing.

Ignoring him, Julie closed her eyes and went through a couple of her favorite short recital pieces to give her body a workout of fast and slow moves.

An hour later she opened her eyes again as she finished the last set. She went over to the dance bar and stretched out her muscles to cool them down after the hard workout.

"You are good. Even if you didn't have my complete attention, I would have trouble taking my eyes off you."

Julie jumped a little. In her after-dance relaxation, she had almost forgotten that he was there. He was so quiet by the end, and she'd let the dancing take over.

"Um, thanks." She watched him walk over to her. Her heart sped up the closer he came. Part of her knew he was a big mistake waiting to happen, and part of her didn't care.

She held up a hand. "No, I'm going to shower first this time."

"Is that an invitation?" Rory grinned, and she blushed.

"No. You wish. You stay here. Or go...or whatever." She didn't want him to go but didn't want to sound desperate either. She liked having him around and was kind of starting to like his snarkiness. And the fact that he wasn't so sure about all this too—maybe even a little scared—made her feel better. She wasn't alone anymore.

"I'm not going anywhere. I can stay out all night tonight if I want. My parents are out of town. You aren't going to get rid of me that easily." He grinned again, but he seemed annoyed he felt this way.

"Well I can't. I guess that puts a limit on things, so let me go change."

"I'll wait. I want you, so I'll wait."

He wanted her now, but what about tomorrow? She watched him for a moment. He tilted his head to the side, smiling at her, but she could see the slight slant to his eyes that said he was worried.

Did this feeling go away? Was he doing this somehow? Was she falling deeper into whatever weirdness was around her? But she liked the way he made her feel, even if she wasn't so sure about him.

Julie backed away. Her feet felt like they were walking through quicksand with every step she took further away. He was gripping the dance pole, like he was trying to prevent himself from going after her.

The only time she wasn't thinking about him now was when she danced. She couldn't dance twenty-four-seven. What about him—did he have anything to distract him? They couldn't live with this. They would go crazy.

Or in her case—crazier. She sighed.

***

If you can't wait for the next installment, or for the next book in this series, check out my website: www.KathleenRovner.com