Chapter 35

Chapter 35

       "Oh, and then we can go for a walk on the beach," Grayson said with a smile. "Sound like a plan?"

       I looked up at him, causing him to frown immediately. "Grayson, what if the surgery doesn't work?" I asked.

       Grayson rested his head on mine. "I know you're scared," he said. "But they know what they're doing. It's going to go great and you'll be able to walk again in no time. And we can do everything that we hadn't been able to do. Sound like a plan?"

       I gave him a faint smile. "Yeah, it does."

      Grayson kissed my forehead. "Good. And I promise we'll take things easy. Nothing too serious."

       "Thanks," I said. "For everything. Being there for me every step of the way. It's why I love you so much."

       "I love you, too," Grayson said as a nurse walked into the hospital room.

       "Poppy, it's time," she said. "You ready?"

       "Yeah," I said softly as Grayson got off my hospital bed.

       "I promise I'll be here as soon as you wake up," Grayson said, leaning down and giving me a light kiss. "It will go fine."

       Now, it was time for my surgery. I was still extremely worried, but I had to stay positive. All I had to do was think about all the soothing words Grayson kept telling me.

       That was exactly what I did.

~*~

       "Flower?" I heard Grayson say faintly, followed by him gently grabbing my hand. "Are you awake now?"

       I slowly opened my eyes, seeing his smiling face. "Yeah. How.... Did I...."

       His hand moved from mine to my cheek. "Flower," he said. "The surgery went perfectly. You are no longer paralyzed from the lower half of your body."

       "Really?" I asked, not knowing how to react.

       Grayson nodded. "Yeah, really. They told me that you'll be in pain for a few days, but they want you to start walking as quickly as possible, so it's time to get up."

       I was a bit hesitant at first before taking Grayson's outstretched hand. He slowly helped me out of the hospital bed. As my feet touched the cold ground, I couldn't help but smile. This was it. I was actually able to stand again.

       Grayson stood in front of me, taking both of my hands in his. "You ready?" he asked.

       I nodded before I carefully took one step after another, following Grayson as he slowly backed up. He stopped right by the door, giving me another smile. "I did it," I said. "I can walk again!"

       Grayson pulled me in a hug. "I told you everything would be okay," he said.

       "Thank you," I said. "Thank you so much, Grayson. I wouldn't have been able to get through this without you by my side."

       "Of course, Flower," he said. "Now, let's go walk a little further to the vending machines because I am starving."

       "Shouldn't I stay here?" I asked. "Just in case one of the nurses come to check on me?" 

       "They can wait," Grayson said. "Besides, they're the ones who said that you should be walking around. And I'm hungry. Did I mention I'm hungry?"

       "One or twice," I said. "Fine, but we're just going to the vending machine. Then we're coming back here."

       Grayson smiled, taking one of my hands and carefully leading me to the vending machine. It was going to take some time for me to get used to walking again, but I was happy that the surgery went well.

       "Anything you want?" Grayson asked when we got to the vending machine.

       "Chocolate," I said. "No, chips. No, chocolate. Wait...."

       Grayson chuckled as he pulled his wallet out of his back pocket. "Flower, we'll just get both and share. Simple."

       After receiving the chocolate bar and bag of chips, we went back to my hospital room. Grayson helped me sit on the bed after telling me I had to be really careful with moving around. He sat down in the chair beside me rather than the hospital bed like he normally did.

       "Have you decided what you're going to do for Christmas?" I asked. "It's in two days."

       Grayson shrugged. "I'm not sure. My parents still haven't asked me about it, and you're in the hospital right now so I'm kind of leaning towards spending it with your family."

       "Grayson, I really think you should spend it with your family," I said. 

       "That's what Gale and Graeme wants," Grayson said. "But honestly, I don't think I want it. Christmas, yes, is a time for family but for the past two months, your family has been there for me when my parents didn't. Your family took me in when I felt like I had nowhere to go. It's all I ever wanted. For a family to be there for me."

       I smiled. "Sometimes, you have a way with words. Which is weird because when I first met you, you were this snarky boy who hated everyone."

       "What? I didn't hate everyone," he objected. I raised an eyebrow. "I didn't hate you, did I?"

       "Why didn't you?" I asked. "I was this girl who the whole school hated."

       "I told you before," Grayson said. "When I first paid attention to you, I saw someone getting bullied, so I stood up for you, mainly because Devon was the bully. I never listen to rumors."

       "Do you think I ever say thank you enough?" I asked. "Because I really feel like I'll never be able to say it enough."

       Grayson leaned forward, resting one of his hands on my cheek. "You don't have to say thank you. Being with me is thanks enough." He pressed his lips on mine and gently kissed me, moving his lips slowly.

       "Okay, I see enough of this at school," a voice said. Grayson pulled away and sat back down before turning to the doorway where Tony was standing.

       "What? That's crazy," Grayson said sarcastically with a smirk, so he knew that Tony was right.

       Tony sighed, walking over and sitting on the other side of the hospital bed. "How are you, Poppy?"

       I gave him a smile. "I'm great. The surgery went perfect and I'm no longer paralyzed. But I'm going to be sore for a few days."

       Tony gave me a hug. "That's great. Did you try walking yet?"

       I nodded. "Yeah. Grayson helped me. I still have to get used to it, but I couldn't be more happy."

____________

Poppy is no longer paralyzed. (: She was a lucky one not to have it permanently.