Chapter 29

Chapter 29

       "Flower, you have to get up," Grayson said, rubbing my lower back.

       I shook my head and wrapped my arms tighter around him. "No, I don't. There's no law that's forcing me to go. Besides, it's parent-teacher conference. Not parent-teacher-student conference."

       Grayson chuckled. "As much as I love that logic, students are supposed to go as well."

       "No, thank you," I muttered.

       Grayson sighed, brushing my hair out of my face. "Come on, Flower. Your parents said to be ready in ten minutes."

       "So?"

       "They said that five minutes ago," Grayson said. "It usually takes you more than five minutes to get ready. Up, please."

       I sighed, moving to sit up, but as soon as I did I felt a sharp pain in my back. "Ow!" I laid back down, the pain not leaving at all.

       "Poppy, are you okay?" Grayson asked.

       I shook my head. "No, my back really hurts. I can't move at all."

       "What do you mean you can't move?"

       "Exactly what it sounds like. I can't freaking move my legs."

       Grayson slowly got up from the couch, making sure not to move me. "I'll get your dad, okay?" he said before quickly hurrying up the stairs.

       He came back down shortly after with my dad following. "Poppy, what happened?" Dad asked, kneeling down beside the couch.

        "I don't know," I said. "I tried sitting up, but then my back hurt a whole lot and I can't move my legs."

       Dad sighed. "Alright, let's get you to the hospital."

       "What?" I asked the same time Grayson asked, "Hospital?"

       Dad sighed again. "Poppy, remember the car accident you got into?"

       "How could I forget?" I muttered. I hated thinking about the car crash and thinking how Grayson was in a coma for two weeks or how we got into a huge argument before it.

        "Well, your injury from it was back pain," Dad said. "And since it's still there, plus you can't move your legs now, I think you got spinal cord injury."

        "Meaning?" I asked, afraid to hear the words.

       "Well...." Dad said slowly. "Since you didn't know about the spinal cord injury, you possibly moved it the wrong way and now....your lower half of your body is probably paralyzed."

~*~*~*~

       "Poppy, come on, it's not that bad," Grayson said.

       I scoffed and looked at him. "Not that bad? I'd like to see you in my position."

       Grayson pulled into the parking lot of the school before turning off his car and turning to face me. "Really? You try being in my position, Poppy. I was the one who wasn't paying attention and crashed the car. And don't you dare say it was your fault for yelling at me. I should have been paying attention or pulled over. If it weren't for my stupidity, you wouldn't be how you are now. I'm the one feeling guilty. Not you. So stop complaining, alright?"

       "Grayson, I can't...."

       "It's temporary," Grayson reminded. "The doctors told you it was temporary."