Chapter 12

Chapter 12

       Today was the day every senior student brought their parent or a family member to their period one class to discuss their jobs. I really needed the discussion seeing as I had no idea what I wanted to go into after I graduate from high school.

       When the bell rang, Tony stood in the front of the class. "Today is where we learn about many jobs to help you decided what you're going to do after high school," he said. "Each of you were supposed to bring one of your family members and judging by the many guests here, everyone did so. We'll go down the attendance and each student will introduce who they brought."

       I paid attention to most of the parents talking and only a few interested me. However, none of it was what I really wanted to go into to.

       When Tony called my name, I got to the front of the class. "I brought my brother here," I said. "Though he is here every day, so I didn't really have to bring him. Without further ado, my brother, Tony."

       When I sat down, Tony walked to the front of the class. "Yes, the lovely Poppy is my little sister." He sighed and shook his head when I gave him a thumbs up. He then began talking about his job and how long it took to become a teacher.

       By the time the rest of the family members finished, the bell rang to end class. Still nothing stood out to me. There had to be something I wanted to do after I graduate.

       So far, my senior year wasn't turning out to be the best.

       English class was next and I was not looking forward to it. Henry was still being a pain, and it became even worse with Grayson absent from school for the week.

       Slowly, English class finished and I hurried to pack my stuff before leaving the class. Right as I closed my locker after putting everything in it, I got a request on my phone to video chat with Grayson. He did that every day when it was lunch time at school since he was staying at home.

       I pulled my earphones out of my bag and plugged it into my phone before accepting the video chat request.

       "Hey, Flower," Grayson said. "How was the whole....family job thing?"

       "It was good," I said. "But not for me. It's our senior year and I still don't know what I want to do after high school. I want to go to university for sure, but I don't know what I want to major in."

       "What's your favorite subject?" Grayson asked.

       "Astronomy, you know that," I said with furrowed eyebrows.

       Grayson chuckled. "Flower, it's so obvious. You like astronomy. Be an astronomy major."

       "Huh," I said. "Why did I never thing of that? Thanks, Grayson. Hey, you never told me what you want to do after high school."

       Grayson smiled faintly at that, looking away from the camera. "I, uh....Believe it or not, I....want to become a lawyer."

       I had to admit, I was very shocked to hear that. Not that I doubted him, but I didn't really see him as the lawyer type. "Really?" I asked.

       Grayson nodded. "Shocking, I know but....I always want to help people. People like....my cousin's boyfriend. He reminds me of me."

       "Well, I think you'd make a great lawyer," I said, even though I still didn't see him as the lawyer type. "You're a very persuasive person."

       "Persuasive enough to....convince you to skip school?" Grayson asked. "I miss my Flower."

       I rolled my eyes. "Grayson, I was at your house yesterday until midnight. My parents didn't appreciate me coming home so late, so I'm already in trouble from them. Luckily, I didn't get in too much trouble since I was with you of all people."

       "Why did that offend me?"

       "I need to get my lunch, now," I said. "I'm coming over after school, though, so...."

       "Hold on a second," Grayson interrupted before placing his phone down. I waited for a bit while he was off camera. He shortly came back on the camera. "Poppy, stay at your locker, please. I'll be there soon."

       "But you're supposed to take the week off," I said. Why would Grayson come to school when he was allowed, by the principal, to take the week off. "Why would you....?"

       "See you soon," he said before hanging up.

       I furrowed my eyebrows, taking my earphones out of my phone and placing them back in my bag. Like Grayson asked, I stayed at my locker until he showed up. "Grayson, what on earth are you doing here?" I asked. "You're supposed to be taking the week off."

       "I needed to see you," he said. "My dad and brother....showed up at my house. My dad demanded that he sees me and....my mom let him in the house."

       "Really?" I asked. "Why? She knows what he did."

       "She's thinking I could forgive him," Grayson said. "The funny thing is....he never apologized. Neither did Graeme. And there's the incident that happened....a few days ago."

       "No offense, but your brother is a real jerk," I said. "I never liked him."

       Grayson snorted. "Neither did I. Now let's get lunch."

       "Grayson, you still need to take the day off," I said.

       "Flower, it's been a few days," he said. "I'm fine. I don't need to stay home."

       I frowned. "Grayson...."

       "I'm serious," Grayson said. "I tried committing suicide, yes. But I'm fine now." He threw his arm around me and pulled me closer to him. "But thanks. For caring." He gave me a kiss before leading me to the cafeteria.

       After buying our lunches, we sat down with Belle and Thalia. "Hi, Grayson," Thalia said with a smile. "Where have you been?"

       "Home," Grayson replied. "Haven't been feeling well."

       "Are you okay now?" Thalia asked.

       "Yup," Grayson muttered, poking his food. He didn't even look hungry, so why did he buy a lunch?

       "Are you sure you're okay?" I asked in a quiet voice so Belle and Thalia wouldn't hear.

       "Of course I'm not," Grayson said, his voice as quiet. "My mom knows I don't....want to talk to my dad. Yet she let him in. My depression is caused because of him."

       I reached for his hand and intertwined them together. "I'm really sorry, Grayson. you don't deserve any of it."

       His cell phone rang, so he took it out of his pocket before scoffing and hanging up. It was probably his mom calling him, wondering where he was. "I'm not answering," he muttered, turning his phone on silent. He must have been extremely angry at his mom. I wouldn't blame him. His dad and brother really hurt him.

_________________

My first day of school was today and I hated it. cx It was so boring.

For upcoming news, there may or may not be a third book after this one. (: