Chapter 28

Chapter 28

I winced as soon as I sat down at the cafeteria table, my back hurting a bit. The doctor told me the pain was supposed to go away, but it was still showing up from time to time. And it was getting really annoying.

Grayson placed his tray in the spot beside mine. I was going to ask him why he wasn't sitting down, but then he began massaging my shoulders. Another thing I loved about him. I never had to tell him what I was thinking. He always knew.

"When did the doctor told you it was supposed to go away?" Grayson asked as he continued massaging my shoulders.

"It was supposed to be gone weeks ago," I said. "But it still hurts if I stand for too long or sit without back support."

Grayson wrapped his arms around my waist and pressed his lips against my head. "You'll get better soon," he murmured, keeping me in his arms for a bit longer.

Belle was the one who ruined it. She sat across from me, scoffing at us. "I love the two of you together, but can you please stop acting all couply in front of me? It's nauseating."

Grayson sighed as he sat down beside me and began eating his fries. "Jealous much?"

Belle shot him a glare as I cleared my throat. "So, how did the talk go with Devon yesterday? Did you forgive him?"

Belle shrugged. "I mean, I want to, but after dating Thalia when he promised he would show me he changed, I'm kind of mad at him. Yesterday, I just said 'I told you so' about him dating Thalia."

"Sweet," Grayson muttered, which Belle heard. She shot him another glare. "N-no. I didn't mean....I meant...." He shut up and began eating his fries.

I knew what Grayson meant. He actually wanted to see Devon do a big gesture. I wanted to see it as well. If he felt the same way about Belle as she felt about him, he would go through with it.

About five minutes later, someone shouted, "Excuse me!" very loudly into a megaphone. The whole cafeteria quieted down and turned to the source of the noise.

Devon was standing on a table. He was actually going through with it.

"What is he doing?" Belle asked quietly.

Grayson and I both ignored her, seeing as we knew the answer and we didn't want to spoil it for her.

"I have a two things to say!" Devon announced. A teacher was trying to tell him to get down, but he wouldn't listen. "The first is to Grayson."

Grayson furrowed his eyebrows, but I smiled on the inside. I told Devon to tell Grayson himself that he was sorry. I never expected this.

"Grayson, I am so sorry for what happened a few months ago," Devon said. "I was an idiot and my cousin was influencing me in a bad way. Trust me, I didn't want things to go as far as they did and I didn't want Poppy to get involved. I just wanted to scare you. That was it. I am truly sorry for what happened. I don't expect you to forgive me, but I wanted to let you know how sorry I was."

Grayson looked shocked to hear that, but I was really hoping he would forgive Devon. He was announcing to the whole school that he was sorry and if that didn't earn Grayson's forgiveness, I didn't know what would.

"The second thing I want to announce is this," Devon said. "I am in love. I am in love with a girl who was always there for me and the girl who made me a better person. She might not forgive me right now after the jerk I've been to her best friend and her best friend's boyfriend, but I wanted her to know....No, I want everyone to know that I'm in love with Belle Jones."

Belle looked more shocked than Grayson did, but a small smile crept on to her face. She got up from the table as Devon hopped off the table he was standing on. Belle hurried to him, wrapping her arms tightly around him as everyone in the cafeteria applauded.

"I've got to say," Grayson said. "I did not expect that from him. I thought he would have brought her flowers or chocolate. He isn't the type to do something like that."

"It was sweet," I said. "So....Do you think you're going to forgive him?"

Grayson shrugged. "I don't know yet. He seemed sincere, but....I'm not mad, I just can't forgive him yet. If that makes sense."

"Eh, kind of," I said. "I'm stealing a fry from your plate." I took a fry and quickly ate it before he stopped me.

"No!" he said dramatically. "Why must you eat my babies?"

I rolled my eyes as I stole another one of his fries. He never liked sharing his favorite food, but I didn't care. He was constantly taking my food without asking.

"You're mean," Grayson said.

I gave him a smile. "I learn from the best."

"You're talking about Belle, right?"

"Whatever helps you sleep at night."

Grayson smiled and wrapped his arms around my shoulder. "I love you, Flower."

"I love you, too," I said, smiling at the random time he said it. I love it when he says it randomly.

~*~

"Come on, Flower," Grayson whined. "Stop being a wimp and finish him off!"

Belle scoffed. "Grayson, do you always yell at Poppy when you play video games?"

"No." Grayson said the same time I said, "Yes!"

Can I just play?" Grayson asked.

"Really?" I asked. "You want to play even though last time, you moved your wrist the wrong way and swore like crazy?"

"Yes."

"No."

"Just shut up and finish him off."

Devon snorted a laugh. The four of us were in my basement, playing video games. Well, Devon and I were playing. Belle was watching, wondering why anyone would ever want to play video games and Grayson was begging me to play.

"Poppy won't beat me," Devon said. "She's a girl."

"....Did you just go there?" I asked. Oh, it was on.

"You shouldn't have said that," Grayson said with a smile. He knew exactly what happened when someone used the phrase 'you're a girl', as if I wasn't as good as them. I show them exactly what a girl could do.

And that was exactly what I did.

"In your face!" I said once the game announced that I was the winner.

"She's like this whenever she wins," Grayson said with a sigh. "Too competitive if you ask me."

"What?" I asked. "I'm not competitive. I just like winning."

"And you complain if you lose."

"You complain when you lose."

"I just like to win."

"And so do I. But at least I actually win."

"....Are you questioning my gaming skills?"

"What skills?"

"I'll fight you."

"I love you, too."

"Are they always like this?" Devon asked Belle.

Belle scoffed. "You have no idea."

______________

Aw, how romantic of Devon. (: He's a big softy at heart. It was just his cousin who was influencing him but after what happened with Dedrick, Devon is back to his old self.