Prologue

"Come on, Archie. Pancakes are weady!"

My small hands open Archie's bedroom door. "Bubba, wakey, wakey!" I shake my 5 year old brother's sleeping form, trying my hardest to wake him.

His eyes open slowly and he looks up at me. "Maaaee, I wanna sweep.." Archie tries to roll over but my hands clasp his shoulders.

"No silly, pancakes are weady!" I shake him. "Get uppp!" Archie looks at me again, giving his older sister a pouty face.

Giving a small sigh, he gets out if bed, smiling up at me. "Mae said panwakes?" I beamed down at him and nodded. "This way." Taking his hand, I lead him out of his bedroom and downstairs.

We got about half way down when I heard yelling. I looked down at my brother's big terrified eyes.

I brought my finger to my lips to silence him. "Stay here, otay? I'll be wight back." He nodded his head slowly, and I finished going downstairs. The yelling got louder, and I covered my tiny ears.

The kitchen was empty, and so was the living room. I slowly walked to my parents bedroom and knocked on the door.

It flew open as my mother looked down at me. Her eyes softened as she opened her mouth to say something, "BEEP. BEEP. BEEP BEEP. BEEP."

I gave her a confused look. Her lips didn't move, but her mouth was open.

"BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP."

~~~~

I woke up with a start. Looking on my right side at the clock, the time said 4:30am. I quickly click it, turning off the alarm.

I sighed, rubbing the sleepiness from my eyes and got out of bed. Stepping on the cold, hard wood floor, I winced as it creaked under my weight.

I pause at the sound, looking over to my door, worried that, somehow, my dad had heard, and would come up here.

No doubt screaming.

What seemed like an eternity passed and no sound came from downstairs, so I continued to walk towards my bedroom door, trying my best to dodge where I knew where the creaks were.

Finally I made it into the hallway. But here's where it gets hard. I quickly shoot a glance over the railing to look downstairs.

My dad wasn't up yet, which in most cases, he wasn't. Probably passed out on the floor somewhere drunk.

I walked down the hallway slowly. It was only a short distance to the upstairs bathroom--which I've claimed as mine, since dad never comes upstairs in the first place.

Well, unless he wants to hit me. In that case, it's a different story.

There was another bedroom upstairs, which was supposed to be my little brother's, but when mom left, she took Archie with her. And left me here.

I made it to the bathroom without an incident. And like my morning routine goes, I start getting ready for school.

I wish I could just be normal...

But, I guess fate has other plans.

(A/N)

If you enjoyed this chapter, consider voting for it at the bottom of your page by tapping that star!

I want to thank everyone who's voted so far, you have no idea how much it means to me.

Until we meet again, my disfunctional teens.