Chapter 2

I ended up late to school.

I showed up at lunch time, when I finally got away from my dad. It wasn't easy, getting away from him, but he got sluggish while hitting me, and I saw my opportunity to make a run for it.

I knew my stomach was going to be bruised, one of my ribs was probably cracked, and I could feel a black eye forming. Other than that, I managed to get away with just a few sratches. Which was a miracle, really.

I sat at my usual table in the far corner, away from everyone. I wasn't much for socializing. I've found in my years that people see all your flaws and only your flaws. There were times in my youth where I had friends and enjoyed the company--I'm sure I'd even enjoy the company now--but everytime dad found out I had a friend, he'd threaten me, or them. On one occasion, one of them fought back. Until dad...

I shook my head slightly to bring me back to reality. I pushed lose memories out a long time ago. But just like the dreams of my childhood, they're like ghost that haunt me. I sighed and kept my head down, not wanting anyone to see the black eye. The broken rib and the bruises on my stomach I could hide, but I didn't have time to put more foundation on to hide the bruise on my face. I needed to get out of the house as soon as possible.

I picked at the food on my plate. Who really knows what this stuff was? It looked kinda like meatloaf, but the sides that were supposed to be the crust was greenish, and the onions (if you could call the that) were a yellowish tint. I inwardly scowled.

And suddenly, I felt someone's eyes on me, and I heard my name. I stirred uncomfortably in whoever's gaze and locked my jaw. My breath became rigid. That was the social anxiety. I could feel a panic attack coming. I was suddenly very aware of my surroundings. The screech of a chair being pushed back, the cough of someone two tables down, the very loud, obnoxious giggle from some girl nearby. My palms were getting sweaty, and I tried to take a deep breath. I tried to think.

Who's starring at me? That's the last thing I need right now. But damnit... People in this school always starred at me, calling me names behind me back. The riticul was never that bad, just stupid kids saying stupid things to make you feel stupid ways. I had always endured it. It couldn't be worse than the stuff at home, right? So why was I curious now? Why was my heart pounding like it was?

I decided not to look up, and trying to avoid the person's stare, I kept my head down, starring at the food on my plate, focusing on that and keeping my breath even.

I didn't dare to take a bite. I know I should eat but, I just can't. My stomach is so bruised, and the pain caused by the broken rib was excruciating. Dad kicked me over and over again, after slapping me so hard that I fell. I could tell he was drunk. His breath reeked of alcohol the whole time he yelled profanities at me.

I shuddered at the thought, and at all the pain I went through. So I just sat there. Looking at my food, and listening to the conversations around me.

It's kind of interesting the conversations that take place in high school, really. You know, who's having sex with who, who wore what and when, girls gossiping about any possible thing and the latest trends. I wish I could be like that.

Normal.

That guy really meant it when he wrote that 'ignorance is bliss' thing.

~~~~~~

I was still starring down at my food, when I heard a bunch of laughing coming from a nearby table. I look up slightly to find it was the football players table, and a few of the ones laughing are looking straight at me.

Or maybe I'm just paranoid. Why would they be looking at me? Could it have been them talking about me earlier? No one ever notices me. Not in this school. Well, unless I an getting shoved into a locker.

The famous football team and a few other popular people sit at that table. While Mark, Owen, and AJ--some football players-- are laughing, and might I add, are looking at me, Blake--another football player--is the only one not.

Why? I burrow my eyebrows in confusion.

He isn't laughing. No, not at all, in fact he looks mad. Really mad. We make eye contact for a split second and my whole body jolts. I look down quickly.

What was that?

Just as the thought crosses my mind, I look up again to see him standing up and punching Mark in the jaw, sending him flying out of his seat, and onto the floor. .

The cacophony stirred up the rest of the lunchroom, leaving curious teens gawking and whispering about the incident. I let out a quiet gasp of my own.

Blake shook the hand his punched Mark with, but appeared to be in no pain. I looked to Mark who lay on the ground now, and he sat up, propping himself with one of his elbows. He rubbed his jaw with the back of his hand, wincing, then he laughed loudly. Blake looked toward him just as Mark jumped up and punched Blake in the side. I gasped and stood aruptly as Blake stumbled, taken by surprise.

The whole room was silent for a moment, the only noise was the heavy breathing and groans coming from Blake and Mark. Then, time seem to speed up. Blake lunged at Mark and tackled him to the ground. A circle of kids had formed around them now, chanting "Fight, fight". I couldn't see what was going on from my table exactly , but I could hear the sound of flesh hitting flesh, and it did not sound pretty.

Then I heard them yelling.

"I thought we were friends, you jackass!" I thought Mark said. The teens grew quieter, and I came closer to look at what was going on.

"Then why the fuck would you mess with me for who I like?!" Blake's voice was clear. He threw another punch and Mark dodged it, kicking Blake in his ribs.

"Because the person you like is Mae Willis! A-" kick. "piece-" kick. "of-" kick."shit!" Kick.

I gasped. I could feel everyone turn and look in my direction. Then, the laughing started. It was one at first, then everyone. I backed up and stumbled, my heart pounding. I looked around for an exit but couldn't find one. All I could see were the laughing faces of hundreds of kids.

I pushed through the crowd, tears rushing down my cheeks, and ran. I ran until I finally found the exit. I pushed the door open quickly, and ran through the hall until I got the bathroom.

The adrenaline left my body and I slid to the floor with a thud. Shaking, I let out a whimper. When the first tear fell, it was as if I were crying for the first time ever. My body shook and I wiped my tears away with the back of my hand repeatedly, but I didn't stop crying.

I didn't think I'd ever stop crying.

(A/N)

If you enjoyed this chapter, consider voting for it at the bottom of your page by tapping that star!

I want to thank everyone who's voted so far, you have no idea how much it means to me.

Until we meet again, my disfunctional teens.