Ten

[Unedited]

When Lily got up, the first thing she did was turn on the small wooden lamp sitting on the nightstand beside the king sized bed. Her first thought was that, like usual, she was alone. The room looked as it usually did with its simple furnishings and dark velvet curtains drawn tightly over the windows. Lily thought she could see the sun trying to peak through the heavy darkness of the curtains. She wanted to make the room brighter. She thought about what it would look like if the walls were painted a sky blue, and the lucid windows were left open and free to the warm sunshine. But she knew she didn't have the right to make such modifications. Goddess, she didn't even have the right to have her own room.

And then, all of the sudden, she remembered: her birthday! Immediately, her mood brightened as she recalled the birthdays she'd spent with her father and Bree. She loved celebrating birthdays-be it her own or someone else's. And she was 19 now! One year closer to when she would be able to shift for the first time.

She got out of bed quickly before showering and dressing in a blue pastel dress, her favorite piece of clothing that had been bought for her. It had sheer long sleeves that were decorated in intricate patterns that also adorned the top and bottom of the dress. She allowed her hair to dry in natural curls and then paired the outfit with pretty white flats. She may have been alone but she felt great.

When she got downstairs, she decided to make a big breakfast of homemade chocolate chip pancakes, eggs, and bacon. She could celebrate with the guards! She set out to work immediately, humming an old Elvis song. When she was finished, there were stacks of food set out neatly on the table and the whole house smelt like mouthwatering, sugary chocolate.

She walked over to the front doors where the guards were stationed. Usually she brought them breakfast outside because she knew they had a job to do. But today was her birthday! Surely they could just sit with her for a few minutes.

"You look especially happy this morning, Luna," Bernard, one of the guards observed stoically. Lily smiled.

"How many times do I have to tell you, Bernard, to call me Lily?" She wasn't even sure if she was Luna. Bernard nodded stiffly but knew he would continue to call her Luna. His Alpha would have his head if he heard him call his mate by her first name.

"Won't you come inside and eat breakfast with me? I've made pancakes, eggs, bacon and a fruit smoothie," she told them, secretly making all four men's mouths water. They could smell the food from where they stood.

"We cannot, Luna. We are not permitted to leave our places," Bernard answered.

"But it's my birthday!" Lily revealed, smiling wider.

"Your birthday?" Mark questioned raising an eyebrow.

"Yes! And I have no one to celebrate with. Please come sit inside. It'll only be for a little while," she pleaded, pouting slightly and widening her beautiful eyes.

The guards knew how strict the orders from their alpha were. They were instructed never to leave their posts and they knew what the punishment would be if they disobeyed. But the way she was looking at them...

Their purpose was to protect the Luna, right? So if they were there with her then nothing could hurt her. And so the men couldn't refuse. Their Luna was so kind and they, tough and unyielding as they usually were, couldn't bear the thought of her having to spend her birthday alone.

"Well, alri-" Bernard relented.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Lily laughed. The men didn't talk much but they had become her good friends. She moved to the side of the door and gestured for them to come inside. They did so quickly, partially out of anxiousness at what the Alpha might think if he found out and partially because it smelled so incredible. They each took a seat at the table and began to help themselves.