chapter 8

BE THE LOST YOUTH TRAILING ONE OF THE BIGGEST ASSHOLES THAT EVER LIVED

After Sollux had told me he had math next too, I as at first excited, but now, walking in silence laced with pissed-offness, I'm seriously debating skipping class.

Sollux walks just ahead of me, weaving in and out of the crowd like a pro, leaving me to struggle to keep up. Asshole. Whatever possessed me to think he was cute is beyond me.

My phone starts buzzing in my pocket, and I nearly lose sight of Sollux in the process of taking it out. Luckily, we've reached the classroom, and I had met Mr. Lionel on Friday, so he just nods to me without finding the need to introduce me to the the other students.

I pull out my phone, automatically sitting next to Sollux. He doesn't protest, meaning we don't have assigned seats.

-GrimAuxiliatrix started pestering CarcinoGeneticist at 9:03 a.m.-

GA: Good Morning, Karkat. Is Everything Alright?

CG: YEAH, WHY WOULDN'T IT BE?

GA: You Did Not Call Me On Sunday. I Thought Perhaps Something Else Had Happened?

CG: WHOOPS. SORRY KANAYA. I FORGOT.

GA: Something Must Have Happened Then. Care To Elaborate?

CG: CLASS IS STARTING. I GOTTA GO. I'LL CALL YOU WHEN I GET HOME.

GA: Oh, There's No Need For That.

CG: WHY?

GA: You'll See When You Return Home

-GrimAuxiliatrix ceased pestering CarcinoGeneticist at 9:06 a.m.-

CG:KANAYA?

CG: WHAT AM I GOING TO SEE WHEN I GET HOME?

CG: ...

CG: IT SURE AS FUCK BETTER NOT BE ANOTHER CHAINSAW

Math goes rather quickly, since I had already gone over all this stuff at my old school. By the time the bell rings, I've already completed a rather lifelike drawing of Mr. Lionel on the back cover of my textbook.

As I'm putting away my pencils, I notice Sollux staring at my drawing, and feel immediately guilty for vandalizing my book. I flip it shut and shove it into my backpack.

"Dude, how do you do that?" Sollux demands.

"Do what?"

"Draw like that. You only had half an hour to do that. How?"

"I dunno, I just do it." He shakes his head, hiking his bag's strap higher on his shoulder.

"Hey, what period do you have nextht?" I pull out my schedule.

"Um, I have a free period."

"What, theriouthly?" He grabs my schedule, inspecting it. "Thit. Except for Englith, you have the thame clatheth ath me."

"You're joking."

"No, and how the hell did you get into honorth Englith?" My ears grow hot, and I shift my weight to my other foot.

"Um, I enjoy reading." Fuck, what's with that triumphant, stupid smirk on his face?

"Ha, who'th nerdy now?"

"Shut up." I turn and start walking out of the room, but wait for him by the door, because, let's face it, I have no idea where I am. He catches up to me, smirking again, because he knows.

"Ok, tho where do you wanna thpend free period?"

"You know the school better than I do." He grins, tugging me in the opposite direction. "Where are we going?" He doesn't answer, just pulls me down two flights of stairs, back towards the first floor. We run right by the art classrooms, and enter a door labeled 'STAGE ENTRANCE'.