Chapter Fourteen

“I miss him already,” Rachael sighed, pushing her hash browns around on their plate.

Sam reached her hand out and put it on Rachael’s, “I know.. I do too.”

Rachael’s phone rang, she hoped it would be Cody, “Hey Cassie, what’s up?”

“Not much, calling to see what you and Sam are doing.”

“We are finishing up eating at Ihop, why?”

“Aaron’s at work, I want to spend some alone time with you two.” 

“Okay, I’ll send you a text when we get home.” they hung up.

They were quiet for a moment, Sam on her phone and Rachael looking out the window. Rachael was trying to think of anything but Cody being gone again. Their waitress walked over with the bill, “Whenever you’re ready, flip it to the green dot. Can I take some plates?”

They handed her their plates and when she walked away Rachael slipped money into the bill holder and wrote on the bill, “Keep the change,” and flipped it to the green dot side. They got up and walked out. She was pretty sure the waitress saw them and rushed to the table to make sure they paid. 

The drive back home was quiet. Once they were home Rachael sent a text to Cassie letting here know they were home and she was over within minutes.

“You guys okay?” she asked, walking into the living room and seeing them frowning. 

Sam looked up at her, “Yeah, just missing the boys.” Cassie sat in between them, “I still don’t know how you guys do it..”

“Can we talk about something else?” Rachael asked. “Sure, what do you want to do?” Cassie patted her knee.

“Does anyone have anything to do tomorrow?” Sam asked. “Nope,” both Rachael and Cassie said. “Okay, let’s go to Cincinnati, go shopping or something, and tomorrow go to kings island for a little.”

Rachael smiled, “That sounds like a lot of fun, let me go let mom know, and pack a bag” she got up and walked upstairs.

Cassie got up, “I’ll run home and pack a back too, and let Aaron know.” 

Sam sat there for a minute, looking at her hand. She couldn’t help but smile. She got up and went to her room to pack a bag. About ten minutes later Rachael was in her bedroom door way, “mom told us to have fun, I’m ready to go.. Whose car are we taking?”

“We can take mine, I don’t mind. I’m almost ready.” Sam was walking into her bathroom. When she came back out Rachael was gone.

Cassie was back with her bag, “Okay, I’m ready.. Whose driving?” she asked.

“Sam said she’s fine with driving.” Cassie nodded and sat on the couch, Rachael followed. A few moments later Sam walked in with her bag. “We all ready to go?” Rachael and Cassie nodded and got up, grabbing their bags. They headed to Sam’s car and threw their bags in the trunk.

“I’ll look up the closet hotel and book a room,” Rachael said, pulling out her phone, getting in the front seat. “Okay, well it’s eleven now, and it’s about a five hour drive,” Sam mentioned. Rachael found a good one and booked them a room.

Around three, with one more hour to drive, Cody texted Rachael, “Hey babe, we’ve landed safe. How are you?”

“I’m glad. I’m okay.. We decided to take a trip to Cincinnati.”