Chapter 1 ║ Acting, Anatomy, and an Asshole

not proofread/edited

Chapter 1 ║ Acting, Anatomy, and an Asshole

I stare down at my phone, looking past my frozen red fingers, to see thirty minutes have already passed since I arrived at the front doors of my school. I didn't understand why my school had to abide by a strict opening time of 8:00, but even though I knew this, I always arrived at least half an hour early before the doors opened. I would take hypothermia over being late for class any day. However, today, I couldn't help but become irritated as I lost all feeling over my body from the wicked cold.

"Fucking hell! Can't you let me in early just this once?" I yell, despite knowing no one would hear my cries. But today I did hear something. I heard a chuckle.

No one usually arrived early unless they worked at the school or they were infatuated with the place, like me. I look up and see the last person I would expect to be here. I was stunned to see him here.

"Babe, it's your fault for coming here so damn early. I know you love school, but is it worth it to come early every single day when you won't be let in till eight?" Austin asks, a smirk forming on his face.

I stare at him, my mouth agape. It's too early in the morning for him to make fun of me. I didn't understand why he couldn't leave me alone like everyone else. I'm the girl with big round glasses who adores learning and he's the popular guy who get everything handed to him. We're nothing alike, but he takes every opportunity he has to ridicule my adoration for school.

Why was he here so early in the first place? He didn't come to school til third period or at all most days. He should still be in bed with his victim from last night.

I want to tell him off, but I don't have the energy to deal with him this early. I decide to flip him off before walking away to the other entrance.

What a great start to the day.

********************************************

The school doors eventually open and I, along with a few others who were waiting, make our way into the heated building, embracing the warmth.

The school day went by quickly and before I knew it, it was already fifth period. I disliked how quickly time went by. I couldn't fathom why anyone didn't like school. I rather spend more time here than go back home. But then again, home is the last place I want to be.

Though I loved every second I spent here, I strongly disliked my fifth period anatomy class. The learning material wasn't the issue though. It was one person that caused my displeasure. I sighed, knowing there was no way around the class since missing class wasn't even an option.

The bell rang while I was taking my books for class out of my locker. I quickly close my locker and begin sprinting. There was no way I was going to be late; I never was and I wasn't going to start now. I wasn't aware of my surroundings since my destination was my only focus and thus I didn't realize I was colliding into someone till I felt my face slam into something hard.

"Ouch," I mutter, rubbing my cheeks to ease the pain.

I look up to see what I bumped into but instead of meeting a wall, my eyes made contact with a pair of brown eyes. Austin's brown eyes. I wanted to ask if he was made out of rocks but once I saw the time, I proceed to run before he could utter a noise out of his mouth. I wasn't going to be marked down late.

********************************************

I run into class and take my seat a second before the late bell rang. My anatomy teacher, Mr. Collins, walk in soon after with Austin and his best friend, Jake, following behind.