Nightmares

A//N

A lil' bit of angsty nightmare sequence and a legit ocean of fluff.

A//N

It all came in flashes.

Terrifying images of the macabre. 

Darkness.

Blood.

Screams.

A howl.

The moon.

Dark clouds.

A hand slipping out of his.

Desperation.

Scars.

New wounds.

Remus flashing in and out of existence.

Gone. And then here again. Then gone.

Gone in a tidal wave of blood, terror and death.

A screeching remix of the same scream. 

Remus' scream.

Raw and desperate.

Again and again and again and again.

Replaying in his head.

Over and over.

On loop.

Enough to make a man go mad.

A drumbeat pounded in his mind. 

Too loud.

Too guilty.

Too painful.

It beat faster and beat louder as the image of Remus' death replayed and replayed in vivid colours.

Sirius couldn't take it anymore.

NO!

----

"Remus!"

He woke up.  And he woke up gasping. A cold sweat dripping off of his forehead - his heartbeat pounding in his ears.

His Gryffindor red bedsheets were twisted violently around his shaking body. 

His chest heaved as he sat. His hands were tearing at his hair, uncut nails digging painfully into his scalp.

Eyes wide, limbs weak, and breathing ragged he picked himself up. He stood urgently scanning the room for Remus.

He wasn't there.

A feeling of panic filled Sirius and gnawed at his insides.

He made his way out of the dorm as quickly, but quietly, as he could - clad in only sweatpants and a thin black t-shirt.

----

"Remus?"

No answer.

----

"Remus are you in here?"

No.

----

"Remus, Moony, where are you, please?"

Not here, the dark corridors seemed to say. 

He's not here, they teased, look somewhere else.

----

Sirius was freezing. He'd been looking for Remus for an hour, his bare feet were very pale and cold as he desperately padded up the stairs to the astronomy tower.

Tears trickled unnoticed down his face. Had his nightmare ended? Or would he wake up to Moony curled up to him soon?

Sirius pushed the heavy door open - not expecting to see anyone, let alone Remus.

He'd given up hope. But there was, to his surprise -

A silhouette.

A starry night.

"Sirius? Is that you?" An oblivious voice, calm and peaceful, but extremely familiar.

"Remus!"

Sirius ran over to the silhouette.

Remus.

Sat swaddled in a blanket and a terrible jumper was the love of Sirius' life.

Unharmed and happy.

He stood up when he saw Sirius running towards him. Sirius grabbed him and buried his face in the taller's shoulder, arms wrapped tightly around him.

"Hey! Merlin! You're freezing!" He said. "Are you okay?"

Sirius pulled back slightly and looked up into Remus' pale face and soft amber eyes.

Sniff.

"Not 'xactly..."

Remus' smile slid off of his face, a look of gentle concern adorned his features. He put his hand under Sirius' chin and tilted his face up slightly.

"Hey... What's wrong?"

Sirius swallowed and a tear trickled down his face.

"Merlin's beard... You're crying. Please tell me what's wrong?"

Remus softly motioned for him to sit down. Moony sat beside him, a warm, loving arm draped over his shoulders, holding him close. The blanket was wrapped around the both of them tightly, warming Sirius' cold body.

"I- uh. I had a nightmare..?"

Remus didn't speak, but silently nodded for Sirius to go on.

"I... Uhm... I thought I'd lost you."

"Oh... Pads... I'd never leave you."

Remus leant forwards to gently wipes a tear from Sirius' eye and kissed him gently on the nose.

"I love you."

Padfoot gave a weak smile and curled up closer to Remus, pressing a small  kiss on his neck, arms circling his waist. His frayed nerves and emotions were beginning to mend in the presence of his boyfriend.

"Never ever leave me, Moons, I love you too much."

"I wouldn't dream of it."

And with that, Sirius began to drift back to sleep in Remus' warm embrace.

"Goodnight, love."

----

Sirius awoke the next morning, snuggled into a sleeping Remus, wearing his oversized sweater. They were back in the dormitory. He vaguely remembered being carried down from the tower in Remus' arms.

He pressed a sleepy kiss to Remus' collarbone.

Remus smiled in his sleep and curled tighter around Sirius.

----

Sirius never again had a nightmare. Because of the adorable dork with the sweater.