Mistletoe Mishap

Silas stared down the waitress who very politely told him he was cut off, no more alcohol for him. How ludicrous. The stuff did not affect vampires at all. He dare not drink the water she brought, though. That was another story. His self-control was questionable many days, highly doubtful if inebriated.

He returned to his table inside the bar and resumed staring through the two-way mirror at Kylie working. Tannenbom insisted on popping into the office to retrieve items. The low-life's current interruption involved leaning over Kylie and smelling her hair to get what appeared to be post-it notes from the far drawer.

Silas almost growled, and the waitress brought another tumbler of water, no ice this time. He shot it back. There were good reasons he had not tried to date, or court as he used to think of it. Reasons he could not recall at the moment, though he was certain they held validity. Kylie already knew what he was, knew there were vamps like Ridley out there. The potential for future developments, especially since she was committed to living in the area, were possibilities that teased Silas. They made more than his throat burn. Would he hurt her? If he tasted human blood again, could he stop this time?

Kylie put files away and sorted loose paperwork into a cardboard file box. When she closed the laptop, Silas signaled the waitress for his check. Tannenbom met her at the office door and invited her for a drink. Silas smiled at her "No, thank you."

He glanced at his check and did a double take. "Blasted inflation," he muttered.

"Is there a problem?" The waitress shared a look at the big bar tender who paused with a glass in one hand and white dry cloth in the other.

Tannenbom lead Kylie toward the exit then drew her over by the bulletin board. Silas spotted what she did not, the mistletoe sprig.

"The only problem is your boss," he reached for his wallet and lay down a $100 bill as he slid from his chair. "Keep the change."

The waitress's attitude improved instantly. She chirped, "Merry Christmas! Come back soon."

***

"Well, well, look whose standing under the mistletoe. Bad luck to deny tradition."

Kylie's mouth fell open and her new boss took full advantage. Strong arms slipped around her waist, and her shock melted into warm pleasure. She pressed her hands against his strong chest to push him away even as her head strained forward. Her mind rushed. What am I doing? He's such a good kisser. He's the boss for goodness sake.

His body lurched back from hers as someone stumbled into his shoulder on their way to the restroom.

"Watch it buddy," threatened Cody.

Kylie registered Silas pushing the restroom door open. Heat rushed up her neck and colored her face. "That--that was--"

"Pretty awesome, right?"

Kylie kept her hands up between them. "Totally inappropriate."

"Well, mistletoe, holiday cheer," Cody gestured around the room. "The sexiest woman in the room getting closer to the hottest guy in the county."

"You know exactly what I mean. That is not happening again."

Cody grinned like he knew she was already thinking of the next time they kissed. "You don't really work for me like the wait staff, Kylie. You're more like an accountant whose services I've hired, but you are your own boss."

"Yeah, that W-2 I filled out makes this relationship crystal clear."

"Ah, that's just Uncle Sam making sure he gets his cut of your earned income. Let me take you out, some place nice. What are you doing for New Year's Eve? There's a big party at the country club. I'd love to take you."