Bee to Honey or Prey to Web?

The kitchen's cabinets went all the way to the tall ceilings and the range top stove was the oldest Kylie could remember seeing. Her vampire host filled a kettle and put it on to heat and then motioned for her to take the only seat in the room which was a metal affair, taller than a bar stool that had upside down steps folded into it. A step ladder she supposed.

He began methodically going through the quite bare cabinets. Utensils rattled in one drawer he pulled, and a soup spoon was selected. Kylie studied the brisk yet unhurried manner in which he moved. When she first saw the Man in Black, he had walked so slowly, a deliberate pace she now suspected. One for display to the public. Comparing the two specimens was an interesting past time and Kylie fancied herself a scientist observing a new species, excited interest mixed with professional detachment. The Man in Black was taller, almost gangly in build, while the suit before her was a scant few inches above her eye level and considerably thicker through the chest and shoulders. They both embodied strength, confidence, and a sort of grace that made her think of the colorful fluid toy she had as child which left her grappling for what those things were called.

The object of her visual scrutiny skipped over one set of cabinet doors which immediately aroused suspicion. Whatever occupied that space was clearly known and probably oft used. What does a vampire keep in his kitchen? (need to fill this in with wild speculation)

The second to last cabinet on the bottom contained an odd assortment of metal pans, glass soda bottles, and round bowl with no lip.

"I guess this is the best cup I can come up with," he set the bowl by the stove and studied the intermittent steam coming from the kettle. "Hot water with honey does not sound as appealing, does it?" He looked at her stomach instead of her face. "I see we are in agreement," he spoke to her middle.

He strode to the cabinets previously skipped and Kylie leaned over to see around to their contents. The one partially opened door revealed row, upon row of honey jars.

She mumbled, "Well, I never..."

"Yes. Appears to be all we have for now. I will find a way to the market tonight. Have to make Lara think it was her idea and--"

The kettle gave a gargled whistle before cutting loose with a noise Kylie thought would wake the dead. No microwave was that demanding, she thought. Kettle in one hand, bowl and spoon in the other her host stepped over to the countertop nearest her perch and poured up the steaming water. Then he retrieved the honey jar, unscrewed the top in one motion, and handed both it and the spoon to her.

"I would do the honors, however this concoction should probably be done to taste."

Kylie was one of those people who always took what was handed to her whether it was a coupon in the mall, advertisement on the sidewalk, or a spoon and jar of honey. In this case her fingers brushed his and a for a moment they both held the items still. Surprisingly his touch was not that much cooler than her own.

Suddenly he stepped back and the jar almost got away from her. "I do apologize," he said and then resumed searching the cabinets they both knew were empty.

Kylie spooned out the honey and dripped it across from the jar to the steaming bowl of water right beside. In her experience honey was either served from a plastic packet or a squeezable clear bear. This honey was noticeably lighter in color and clearer than the common grocery fare. The scent of it on the steam brought a comment from her stomach, and she became aware of how near the vampire was over her shoulder. Startled, she drizzled honey all over the area as her heart leapt and her breathing threatened to become labored again.

Tired, confused, and weak, she hardly noticed how her hand began to shake because she was distracted by the tears pooling in her vision.

Her plea was a whisper, "Please let me go."