Three Consorting

Kylie watched the new vampire run his nose and then his teeth along Silas's inner wrist a couple times before biting down. Silas didn't flinch at all. Doesn't it hurt? She stared only at Lara's face for signs of pain when Silas bit down on her arm and saw none. When Lara put Franco's wrist to her mouth her white eyes were slits, and she licked the wrist back and forth a few times and winked at Kylie before biting down decisively. It wasn't the same tearing motion Lara had used on Kylie, but for a moment the young woman caught her breath and held it.

A wisp of gray like smoke from a small cigarette rose off the three and floated around them. Kylie blinked thinking it was in her eye, but the wave grew wider the longer they drank from each other. The effort also increased. They rocked back with each draught and forward. The gray turned more white and began to rise from around them.

Cayne fell to his knees where he continued to rock with increasing speed. Lara followed him down and then Silas, all of them on their knees drinking and drinking from each other. The white whirled above them like a cloud, like a cloud with a face shape continuously turning to look over its shoulder.

Silas broke off first letting go of Lara's arm but not pulling his away from Cayne. The whirling cloud vanished. The newcomer rocked his head back and forth and then released Silas's arm while Lara continued to drink. She looked over at Kylie with eyes no longer white and yet not their regular shade either. Silas grabbed the back of Lara's hair the way he had the night before and pulled her mouth from Franco's wrist.

"Sorry about that," said Silas. "She gets carried away some times."

Lara laid back on the floor panting and laughing. "It's so much better with three, Silas. Why don't we all do this? What's the point of staying only two?"

The males were both breathing hard as well. Kylie thought if they went outside in the cold now she would see their breath where she hadn't before. Silas took Cayne's face in his hands and searched his eyes.

"How's the vision, Franco? Any change?"

"No. I still can't--" Cayne shook his head and appeared to look around the room. "Is there a bright light over that way?" He was pointing toward Silas's reading lamp.

"Yes. Yes there is."

"It's not much different--a lighter black is all."

"Well," said Silas, "that's something."

Lara rolled over and sat up, her skirt riding indecently high. "We should move this party to the bedroom." She glanced from one man to the other and finally at Kylie.

Silas cleared his throat. "The euphoria will recede. I imagine it's similar to what some humans feel when the venom goes coursing through their systems."

"Can I get you a drink Franco? We have water and more water."

"Yes, thank you."

As Silas walked away Lara slinked to the couch on all fours like she was a big game cat stalking her prey. Kylie's distress was immediate.

Cayne tried to stand to intervene and stumbled their direction.

"Look at her, Franco. Those wide brown eyes, every curve of her body asking for your touch, her blood pumping harder and harder with that same touch."

Lara ran a hand up Kylie's jeans.

Cayne reached over trying to find Lara's point of contact with Kylie. He could hear the rubbing. His hand met with Lara's free hand.

"Imagine the consorting, you, me and Kylie." Lara moved his hand against her own breast. "Forget the standing up. Why do that when the three of us could be naked in a bed, sharing everything all night long."

Cayne grabbed Lara's shoulder and rolled with her away from Kylie. The young woman yelped in surprise and her heart kept up its pounding, not from fear of Silas but from Lara. There hadn't been a hint of death taint in Silas's blood, and Lara still carried it ever so faintly. Even diluted Cayne now realized it was reminiscent of Kylie. And earlier when he'd attacked Silas with all his own pent up anger, Lara had tugged on Cayne's shirt without enough effort to even break a seam. That was what had been niggling at the edge of his mind. The master here was not domineering, but she was a manipulative killer. Franco kept her pinned to the ground while he tried to decide whether or not to enact the capital punishment she deserved.

"I don't know why you are staying here when it's obvious you don't want to be here. Maybe it's because he helps cover up your slips. But trying to get your 'master' killed is--"

"Silas, help! Help me!" she cried out.

He crossed the room in an instant and stopped short of the two vampires. From there he crouch low, eyes aglow, ready to attack Cayne though they both knew it would be a losing battle.

"Mr. Cayne, I'm only going to ask once. Release my protégée."

Franco raised his hands, rocked back and was on his feet in a manner equivalent to slow motion for someone with his three hundred plus years. Lara scooted away before coming to her feet beside Silas.

"Your protégée doesn't--"

Silas said, "You're no longer an enforcer, right? And if you happen to be the kind of immortal who has never made a mistake or been stuck between a rock and a hard place, then I am all admiration. I know what it's like to be in control and out of it and for someone to give me another chance when I didn't deserve it."

"She smells of death taint. Kylie's death taint."

If Franco could have seen Silas, he would have seen him flinch. Kylie saw it and was reassured. The Man in Black had helped this man, and Kylie thought she could pay back part of her debt by doing the same. Lara was bad news, and Kylie knew her type. The ones that brown nosed the boss and managers while fingering the cash drawer or dipping into the tip jar.

Silas said, "I'll not make excuses, Mr. Cayne. This is my house and you're no longer welcome in it."

Franco dusted off his knees not knowing if they needed it or not.

"I may not be a sanctioned enforcer anymore, but I am still a hunter of Wild Ones and Rogues outside the law. If I cross paths with you, Lara, outside this house, and your human partner is not willing, I'll take you out and let the sun dust your remains. I don't answer to anyone these days."

Kylie watched Lara screw up her face to retort and then refrain when Silas squeezed her arm.

"I'm not sure you even answer to your own conscience these days, Mr. Cayne, and..."

It was Franco's turn to flinch. Silas's insight into the older vampire's situation hit too close to home for Cayne.

"...and I think the least controlled vampire in this room is the one taking his anger issues out the front door."

"Kylie," said Franco, "would you walk me out?"

"No!" Lara launched her body forward a second too slow for Silas restraining arms. She kicked and screamed like a toddler to the same effect as he got a secure hold on her.

Kylie eased off the couch to her feet and took the big vampire by the arm. The way he towered over her gave her throat a squeeze of apprehension. Even blind he was obviously a force to be reckoned with. She couldn't help being afraid of him, of the menace he could be. Only his blindness secured her sympathy which was shy she guided him out the door.

She kept one eye on Lara and Silas, waiting for them to stop her. Lara's reaction was frightening, and Silas's was hard to read. Was he sad? Resigned? Lara was losing her Plan A or B or whatever letter she was on at this point. She wasn't taking that lying down. Silas was keeping his promise. Kylie felt more certain he would protect her.

This was her chance to escape. Franco Cayne could take her safely away from Lara...far far away.

Should I stay or should I go?

s.crl0e^}vy