Chapter 19 Part 1

The next time I wake up, my family and Wes are back. My family is murmuring in low voices, and don't notice I'm awake. But Wes is sitting next to me, holding my hand, and he sees me. A huge smile blooms on his face, and he kisses my hand.

"Look who finally decided to join us."

Everyone turns their heads towards us. I weakly smile, and attempt to swallow, but my throat parched.

I lick my lips and croak out, "Could I have some water?"

Wes is on his feet in an instant, and brings me back a glass of water.

I gulp it down in a few swallows, and cough when I aspirate the last few drops.

"You okay?" Wes asks.

My vision swims as I nod. "I just inhaled some of it."

"You know, it's good to drink lots of water, but it's probably not a good replacement for air."I laugh, and immediately cringe in pain.

Before he asks what's wrong I explain, "I'm fine. I just feel like I've been mugged."

I turn my head to see my family again. Julia is no longer here. She probably went to be with her brother as soon as she knew I was okay.

Shane is the first one to speak. "Are you okay if Marie and I head out?"

"What time is it?" I frown. "What day is it?"

My dad answers, "Sunday afternoon." He glances at his phone for the exact time. "3:00."

Sunday. Whoever would have thought my weekend would turn out like this?

Me literally dying, and skipping almost a full day, unconscious.

Crazy...

I realize I didn't answer my brother, so I say, "I'm fine."

"You're sure?"

"You should get back so it won't be too late."

He nods, and lifts Jared from Marie's arms to place him in his carrier. He and Marie both stand up and grab their things.

Shane steps over, hugs me, and I feel a tear drop onto my shoulder. "I love you, Leyna. Feel better, okay? Hang on. Promise me you'll fight this."

My throat gets tight in emotion. "I love you, too, Shane."

I won't promise him anything. I can't be the cause to that disappointment.

He turns and hugs my dad as Marie hugs me. "Hang in there, Aleyna."

Shane firmly shakes Wes's hand. "Take care of my sister, you hear me? And if you dare to even think of breaking her heart, I swear I'll kill you."

"I wouldn't dream of hurting her in any way. You have my word."

Shane seems content with that answer, and he and Marie walk toward the door, carrying Jared. My brother turns back. "I love you, Aleyna. Call me."

I smile. "Okay."

Once they leave, it's deathly silent as Dad and Wes try to figure out what to talk about.

I ask, "You want to watch a movie?"

They both are happy to do something to break the awkward ait.

I turn to Wes. "You know the one we're on, right? Would you mind picking it up for me?"

He says, "No problem. Anything else?"

"Naw. Thanks though."

He nods and heads out the door.

Dad breaks the silence after Wes leaves. "He loves you, you know."

I'm caught by surprise. "What?"

"He really cares about you."

I look down. "I know."

"And you love him too." He states it as a fact, not a question.

My brow furrows as I glance up at him again. "I don't know what to do, Dad. I thought I could stop this from happening." I sigh. "He's going to be stricken when I'm gone."

He sits on the edge of my bed an pushes my hair behind my ear. "Ah, my sweetheart. There's nothing you could have done to stop it. Honestly, I think he's loved you all along. That may have been what scared him away from you in junior high and high school."

"Promise me you'll look after him when I'm gone. That you'll make sure he's okay?"

He leans down and kisses me on the forehead. "My sweet girl. You are the strongest person I have ever known. Strong and selfless." He exhales with a sad laugh. "You're dying, and all you can think about is the people in your life getting hurt." He blinks away tears, and lets out a slow breath. "I promise, Ley, my girl. I promise I'll do my best."

I whisper so I don't end up choking up. "Thank you."

I breathe in his comforting smell when he hugs me.

How many more times will I be able to hug my dad? Will this be the last time?

I grip onto him for dear life as tears pour down.

"What's wrong, sweetie?" he says as he pulls away to look at me.

I gasp, "I don't want to leave you and Wes. I don't want to die."

His face contorts with emotion he had been trying to hide as he leans in for another hug, and I sob in his arms.

"I love you, Ley."

* * *

"Wake up, sleepyhead."

My eyes peel open, and I turn my head towards the voice. "What time is it now?"

Wes replies, "Nine in the morning."

I frown. It's Monday. So Dad's at work then.

"You fell asleep at the end of the second movie we watched yesterday. You've been out since. Well besides the brief time when the doctors came in."

"Gosh. You'd think with all of this sleeping, I'd feel rested." I yawn and push the button to tilt my bed upwards.

"Your body has been through quite an ordeal this weekend. It's recuperating by sleeping."

I scoff. "I'll sleep when I'm dead."

His smile disappears.

"Sorry. I didn't mean—"

"—Naw it's fine. I think it's high time we stop apologizing for simple sayings and figures of speech. I should stop treating them like they are something serious. You want to say that you'll sleep when you're dead? You go ahead. It is true after all, but we don't have to treat you like you're a sick and dying patient. We already know you are. Let's just accept that fact and move on. Have fun. And have some hope."

"Have a little heart?" I wink.

"Well that one didn't even fit the situation. The sayings need to make sense with the context of the sentence. Okay?"

"Okay. And you need to promise you won't just use them all the time to be cheesy."

"Cross my heart." He smirks.

I narrow my eyes and playfully shove his chest. I can feel his strong muscles through his Seahawks t-shirt.

Heat rushes to my face as I realize I'm staring, and he slides onto the bed next to me.

He looks me in the eye. "You know. I'm really starting to miss your kisses."