Chapter 2

When the movie ends, we stare in silence for a while. While still staring at the credits, my dad says, "I don't remember it being that bad..."

I agree, "I think that is the worst movie I have ever seen."

"I concur."

"Seriously, for being an old movie, that was pretty disturbing... And gory. Those baby dragons were disgusting!"

"I can't believe I took your mother to watch that.."

I smile and nudge him. "Well, you guys were probably distracted... If you know what I mean."

He sighs. "Yeah, we were. I remember that day like it was yesterday. It was our first 'official' date."

I glance over at him just as he blinks away the coming tears. "Do you want to talk about it?"

He quickly replies, "I'm getting tired, and you need to rest. Why don't we pick this up another time."

"You're avoiding the subject. You should really talk to someone, Dad. It doesn't even have to be me, but it'd do you good."

"I think your psychologist is starting to affect you, Ley." He smirks.

"I'm serious, Dad. I'm here if you want."

He sighs. "I appreciate it, sweetheart. I may take you up on that sometime."

"Good." I smile sweetly.

* * *

          We brush our teeth, and he heads out of the bathroom. I close the door and wash my face. I look in the mirror and see my dad's eyes staring back at me. That's what I got from my dad — my dark green eyes. Other than that, I look completely like my mother — Dark brown curly hair, light olive skin, same mouth and nose, slender stature. I always hated how much I looked like her. Every time I look in the mirror I see my mother, and remember how she left us...

    I wrench myself out of the thought before it got any further and splash water on my face to help wipe away my thoughts. I take a deep breath, let it out, and head out of the bathroom. I braid my hair when I get in bed and look over at my dad who is now reading a book. He must sense me staring because he looks up and smiles.

"I love you, Ley, my girl."

I smile back. "Love you too, Dad."

"Sleep tight."

I smile as I give the cheesy response, "Every night."

          When I was little, I told my dad I didn't like a boy at my school. My dad asked why, and I told him that he was weird. Dad told me not to judge people by their outside, because they could be a great person even if they don't look like it.

          He told me a story about a little bunny and his mother. The father rabbit was thought to be killed by the evil snake, and they made a password for the mother when she arrived home after work so the son could lock the door and be safe from the snake. The password was that same thing... He would say, "Sleep tight." And if it was safe outside, the mother would say, "Every night." The story goes on with the snake trying to get in, but failing because he didn't know the password. In the end, he figured out the password, surprised the son, and begged for him to listen and let him stay overnight. It just so happened that he hadn't eaten the bunny father, but he was his father. A wood nymph had turned him into a snake and told him the only way he could be turned back was if his family could look past what he looked like, and they were kind enough to let him stay overnight at their house. Long story short, he was allowed to stay the night, was turned back into a rabbit, and they lived happily ever after.