27 - Final

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR READING THIS STORY!

I love all my readers, you guys mean so much to me! I appreciate all your votes and comments, they always make me smile.

I would have never continued this story without all of your help. This story was on hold for literally 5 months in the beginning, and I want to thank those who stood with me then and supported me.

I made this chapter extra long (3400 words!), the longest chapter I have written for this story. Much about Mackenzie's past is brought up in this chapter, and if you don't remember, I suggest rereading Chapter 10 to refresh your memory.

There will not be a sequel to this story, but I PROMISE there will be an epilogue posted very soon. Thank you again for reading!!! I hope you all have all enjoyed it!:)

Being a child of Night, I've done my fair share of break ins. So it was easy for me to sneak into a house and clean myself up. I had scraped the blood of my skin and watched it wash down the drain in some strangers house. After borrowing a pair of clean clothes, I carefully exited the strangers home and set out to find mine.

But the little white house in the middle of the woods is nonexistent.

An overwhelming feeling of sorrow flows through me as I stare at the Walmart in its place. Nothing looks the same. The trees have been torn up, replaced by roads and parking lots, decorated with rows of apartments.

I don't know what I expected, but it definitely wasn't this. I was hoping that I would be able to see it other than just my memories, but my once home is gone.

My eyes scan the perimeter, searching for a land mark that would bring me back into my old life. But there is nothing. No reminder of the life I once had and I don't know whether to think of that as a good thing or a bad thing.

There are still parts of me that miss the older days. When it was just my friend Rose and I, running through the open roads and school hallways.

Even though I was hated by the whole town for having anger problems, I miss the sound of crayons scraping against paper as my brother drew. I miss the voice of David, the boy who was kind although his friends were rude, and I still think about the party Rose attended on the day I died.

But there's several reasons why I would never want that life back.

I'm free now. Night no longer controls me. And Nico. I have Nico.

At least, I hope I do. I still have no idea whether he made it back okay. And he had to deal with all those angry campers-...

My eyes close tight, images of the night flash through my head. No. Stop. Don't think about it.

I cross the distance over the parking lot, memories raging on in my head. Each step I take, it's like a knife to my skull. I can see my brother letting out one of his rare laughs, playing in the fallen leaves. Rose leans in close towards my ear, gossiping and giggling. A mother cries over her dead kid. Teens steer out of my path during school. A girl who accused me of cheating gets her head slammed into a locker.

'Why don't you ever go outside at night?" A freshman version of Rose asked.

"I'm scared of the dark." I had replied.

I didn't realize I arrived at the glass doors until Santa Clause shook a bell in my face. I jumped as he let out a chuckle. "Change to spare for the Salvation Amy?"

"W-what?"

"Would you like to donate money?"

Realization dawns on me. I'm broke. Nico said he would come back for me, but what am I suppose to do until then? What if Nico never even made it back? He was in a rough state when he dropped me off here.